Casual walking shoes for trip to Italy

My wife and I will be taking a 9 day trip through Italy in about a month. We're both taking 1 travel backpack each. I will be taking 1 pair of shoes. I'm looking for an all day, lots of walking, casual shoe. A standard gym shoe isn't what I'd like to find. Any hiking we do will be very casual in-between coastal towns.

Ecco bicycle toe. Super comfy, look good, and wear like iron. Set my personal best steps in Seville a few years ago wearing them. And you'll fit right in with those you're-a-peein's lol.

Hands down Brooks, or better made Browns shoe Company. Not sure where you're headed on your trip, but a stop through Modena is a must. Especially for a tour to see how REAL balsamic vinegar is made.

They're a bit pricey, but Allbirds. I have both the wool runners and the tree runners, and they are hands down the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. The wool runners are nice for cool weather and the tree runners are excellent in warm weather, comfortable and breathable.

I have been fond of my columbia shoes. lightweight comfortable, good traction and waterproof(membrane)

I've got a pair of Ecco shoes that you can wear all day. Leather, good soles, great support, Gore-Tex. Not cheap...

Wait. Found them. $230 retail. Intended for hiking, but presentable enough to be worn where sneakers are too casual.

Shoes gotta fit AND support. Support means "hold the bones of your foot together".

I just bought a pair of "$60" casual shoes at an outlet style (big) shoe store. They're Nunn-Bush Comfort Gel Cameron 83890.
Though the sizing accuracy is questionable [I've worn an 11.5 2E for decades and these new shoes are 11 M], they are among the top 5 BEST fitting shoes I've ever owned.

But there are other good shoes.

Skip anything resembling a heavily lugged hiking shoe/boot as they'll be hard on your legs.

I've not been impressed with Ecco brand shoes. Several in my family endured the decomposition of Ecco soft soles-they turn into oil oozing plastic blobs. On other Ecco shoes the edges of the "uppers" material frayed as if badly cut.

Spent a week in Paris walking well over 10 miles a day. You do not want to think about your feet. You just want them to work.

Skip any, "lightweight, breathable" nonsense.

Remember, if you shoe shop from home (NOT RECOMMENDED) you must order 12 pair and be ready to return 11 of them.

They're a bit pricey, but Allbirds. I have both the wool runners and the tree runners, and they are hands down the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. The wool runners are nice for cool weather and the tree runners are excellent in warm weather, comfortable and breathable.

The weather in Italy will range between 35-60 degrees. Would you suggest the wool or tree runners? I always wear socks.

Get something with harder soles. There are many cities/towns/villages that have cobblestone streets and sidewalks. Walking on them with soft soled shoes will destroy your feet.

Ecco is also an Italian word meaning here or this is....if that's not a sign for a person going to Italy!

Who said foreign language doesn't come in handy later in life...

P.S. - I don't believe in signs....

The weather in Italy will range between 35-60 degrees. Would you suggest the wool or tree runners? I always wear socks.

Probably the wool, they aren't too hot so you should be fine. Those are what I mostly wear from Sept-Late April/May. I'm a big convert to wool recently. Wool socks (the lighter kind) are more comfortable, don't get wet, don't smell, are more durable than cotton socks. I also have a pair of Haflinger boiled wool slippers that are beasts. When people think wool they thing Ragg wool which is itchy, but merino wool especially is just an excellent material.

Last edited:
Probably the wool, they aren't too hot so you should be fine. Those are what I mostly wear from Sept-Late April/May. I'm a big convert to wool recently. Wool socks (the lighter kind) are more comfortable, don't get wet, don't smell, are more durable than cotton socks. I also have a pair of Haflinger boiled wool slippers that are beasts. When people think wool they thing Ragg wool which is itchy, but merino wool especially is just an excellent material.
Absolutely wool socks! For travel the lightweight Darn Tough socks are perfect. Wash them in the hotel sink with hotel shampoo, roll in a towel, hang, and they will be dry the next morning.

Back