Castrol's new commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
+1 It was just supposed to be a funny commercial, instead of a guy in a lab coat talking about something most don't understand or care that much about.

Bingo. But reading everyone's faux "outrage" is always amusing.

Well, you gotta admit no other oil company feeds you stuff like this.

Hah ha!

Way back when I worked in retail I saw first hand how convincing this type of advertising was. Castrol was fairly new in the US market and people just had to have it, they'd scoff at anything else, all they had seen was that old Castrol commercial showing the tachometer and then the engine blowing. Like this, the commercial proved absolutely nothing. But it definitely sold oil!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well, you gotta admit no other oil company feeds you stuff like this.

Hah ha!

Way back when I worked in retail I saw first hand how convincing this type of advertising was. Castrol was fairly new in the US market and people just had to have it, they'd scoff at anything else, all they had seen was that old Castrol commercial showing the tachometer and then the engine blowing. Like this, the commercial proved absolutely nothing. But it definitely sold oil!

That just proves that people are stupid, lol
wink.gif

First of all, we all know Castrol is not a real synthetic oil........or has that myth been proven wrong yet?
Sencond, in the M1 video they are pouring the oil the incorrect way.
grin.gif

But, in this case the pouring technique is irrelevant.......Unless Castrol can turn "that" into a commercial.
laugh.gif

Seriously, I would choose Castrol synthetic over M1 any day.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Darren270
Quote:
+1 It was just supposed to be a funny commercial, instead of a guy in a lab coat talking about something most don't understand or care that much about.

Bingo. But reading everyone's faux "outrage" is always amusing.

It's not really faux outrage, more like real annoyance for me.

Real annoyance that I clicked on that link in the hope of seeing something informative, or at least some details of what tests they performed. However all I got was that rubbish.
cry.gif

Last edited:
I'm guessing there won't be a BITOG night at any comedy clubs anytime soon. Lighten up people, not everything needs to be serious all the time. Not even motor oil.

I really don't get this place sometimes. This should be a place of learning and analyzing oils, fluids, fuels, etc. No where on earth, or in this universe for that matter, does a commercial have anything to do with how well a product performs. I doubt most people on here learn about the products they use via commercials. Most on here are smarter than that.

This should be a place where people discuss how well products work for them or don't work for them. Bad mouthing products because of a dang commercial is down right juvenile.

I thought the commercial was funny and left it at that. Why look more into it than that?

LOL I agree. I was just joking. I find the add pretty funny despite it's silliness.

I asked my cousin who knows little about oil or cars for that matter but is a commercial artist and advertising copy writer what he thought of the ad'.
He thought it was effective and asked me if indeed Castrol was a "stronger oil" than Mobil?
When I told him the ad' was pure spherical bovine droppings (or a word to that effect), he was surprised.
Even being in the trade, he is naive enough to believe advertising is a source of information. In this case the only info' provided is that there are different brands of motor oil.

Quote:
He thought it was effective and asked me if indeed Castrol was a "stronger oil" than Mobil?

Set the premise and then confirm with "testing". I think it is an effective add for those that don't know a thing about oil.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:

Set the premise and then confirm with "testing". I think it is an effective add for those that don't know a thing about oil.

Which is 95% of the motor oil buying public.
IMO I don't thick this type of competitor bashing advertising helps develop a strong quality brand identity.
The Mobil ad's which associate themselves with high end vehicles subliminally reinforces the impression that M1 is a quality product.

^^^what CATERHAM said^^^

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Seriously, I would choose Castrol synthetic over M1 any day.
While I understand that Edge is a very good oil, I'm not sure I would choose it over M1 in a quality fight. I think they're probably both equally good. I choose to not use Exxon/Mobil products in general for philosophical reasons, but I know M1 is a top-notch oil.

I also wouldn't NOT buy Castrol products just because of a retarded commercial; in fact, I use their Mercon V because it's a great product and is easily obtainable for a reasonable price.

All commercials are pretty repulsive imo. But the tv stations have to sell commercial spots to stay on the air unfortunately. Oil commercials are always pretty fun though. Was it Pennzoil that had the engine jumping out of the car and going up the street or something like that? I always liked the old Syntec commercial where they poured 5W50 in that one engine and started all of the engines,drained them,then started them back up and they all locked up except the Syntec filled one. Just a really fun commercial!

Do you mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acK9n6EBDRw

I was so impressed by that commercial that I bought some Syntec 5W something for my 1980 Impala wagon. Had a minor amount of leaking before Syntec- a major amount after. Did start at -25F that winter, though.

Looking through the YouTube archives, Castrol has a long history of dodgy commercials.

i remember that commercial... they should bring back the think with your dipstick commercials

it's silly, ridiculous, has nothing to do with the product, but at least there was no competitor bashing

btw the only pennzoil commercial i remember with the engine jumping out of a car was this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM00FOd56oU

Last edited:
I will buy MS5K all day long based on 2010_FX4's proven UOA results. That is proof enough for me that it's a great product.
I have never been a M1 fan.
I have 2 cousins whom are brothers. Each one owns a 2010 Toyota PreRunner. They both have a V6 except one is a 4X4. The 4X4 cousin uses Valvoline 10W30 synthetic with a FRAM TG oil filter. That engine is very quiet. The 4X2 cousin uses M1 EP 10W30 with a FRAM TG oil filter and you can hear his valvetrain. Is it coincidental? Maybe. Does it prove anything? Only one engine is quieter than the other. Is it because of the oil they use? Who knows. Does the 4X2 load up more because it is a 4X2? No way! He baby's that truck. (He's the one that uses FRAM because J. Force and D. Garlits use them.
grin.gif
) My other cousin uses his 4X4 as a farm truck.
21.gif

You guys are sumpin else! It's marketing. Commercial! We live in the USA. This is how you market things! Also people gotta get over the Castro true synthetic [censored]! Everything is hydro cracked now! Who gives a poop?

the most insulting part---?
In the Mobil-1 clip with Tony Stewart: the XOM Product Engineer had the cajones to refer to "product integrity" as one of their guiding principles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember back about Hurricane Katrina time, when samples of Mobil-1 couldn't even pass the wear test for SM dino oils----
I do not know what they were bottling, but they were pushing product out the door--apparently that's all that counted.
Based on that incident alone, I have never purchased a M-1 product since

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back