Castrol's best oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, which do you guys think is the best oil Castrol currently manufactures. Not just in the USA, but globally....

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
TWS 10w-60 and SLX 0w-30 would be my picks.

I agree. Formula R 0w40 is probably right up there, too.

10W-60 is a massive VI, wonder how well it holds up. Would be nice to have that while I was driving in 55c dessert in Rajasthan last month.

For maximum protection in track or WOT conditions; long drain intervals not required: TWS/RS 10W60
For maximum protection in "enthusiastic" street driving with moderate (less than or equal to 6000 miles) drain intervals: RS 0W40
For maximum protection in "spirited" street driving with moderate drain intervals: SLX 0W30
For spirited street driving and extended drain intervals (greater than 6000 miles: SLX LongTec/DCO Topup)

Interesting.... Have you guys seen their Enduron Plus 5W-40?

Below is the spec sheet at BP:

13.1 @ 100
Flash Point : 238 c
Pour Point : -48 c
TBN : 17.5

Enduron Plus

There was a guy on the clubb5 forum that went about 8800 miles on the 10w-60 and it sheared to 13.9 which is a mid 40w. He posted his UOA and had good results, but I'm sure he was probably sludging his motor.

If i were to use the Formula RS oil, I'd personally go with the 0W-40 weight, i wonder how that one would hold up, but looking at the british site, they list the Formula SLX calling it the "World Beating" oil, while Formula RS is below it with a slightly less "dramatic" description. Which do you guys think is a better oil? So Castrol still makes Formula SLX? I thought it was discontinued? or was it only discontinued in Germany and Australia and reformulated in Poland and Russia?

[ June 25, 2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: cweed ]

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
If i were to use the Formula RS oil, I'd personally go with the 0W-40 weight, i wonder how that one would hold up, but looking at the british site, they list the Formula SLX calling it the "World Beating" oil, while Formula RS is below it with a slightly less "dramatic" description. Which do you guys think is a better oil? So Castrol still makes Formula SLX? I thought it was discontinued? or was it only discontinued in Germany and Australia and reformulated in Poland and Russia?

The German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 that everbody has been buying at Autozone is the same as SLX. I believe this is Group IV/V?

In some parts of Europe it has been replaced by SLX II which I believe to be a Group III oil?
I dont know if anyone in Europe still gets SLX.
I think its still being made in Malaysia as well?

Gene

[ June 25, 2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Yup, going to try it next oil change. I was curious because they still have it listed under products on the British Castrol site www.castrol.co.uk

Clarification: SLX has not been replaced by LongLife II. These are two different oils meeting different VW specs and serving different demands.

Now, as far as SLX LongTec replacing the regular SLX in Eastern Europe, my guess is there was some bad vibe and reports that the original SLX was causing sludge deposits in engines when ran at the standard 20K km intervals here (rumored to be a result of poor gas quality), so when Castrol reformulated this oil, they also felt appropriate to give it a new name do disassociate it from the bad rep.

Now in other countries (where apparently gas is of good quality) SLX always had a good rep so there was no need to change its name. So even though Castrol may have reformulated it, they just kept the old name.

Anyway, that's just a speculation on my part, but the fact is, there's no more old SLX here, just SLX LongTec. Haven't been to other European countries in a while, so I don't know that's available there.

I'm curious if the one listed on the British site is the same original formula slx.... Anyone have any friends in England??
grin.gif

Castrol is such a difficult company to figure out, if they only had slightly better business strategies and practices, they would be a great oil company....

Castrol Poland does not indicate 0W-40 PDS date of issue. It looks quite old, at least indicated density is close to that of the first versions of SLX (0.858 against 0.840 now). As for UK and Spanish specs, they look nearly idendical.

Regarding SLX, if you could notice Castrol UK does not give SLX data, just a general description. Presented MSDS is dated by 1997. I may consider it as a confirmation that the authentic Formula SLX 0W-30 was discontinued. In the beginning of the year I spoke to Castrol TechRep and he aslo confirmed it. Just it's not fully clear why European shelves are still plenty of this stuff.

Manufacturers give PDS as an indication and actual oil properties may varie from batch to batch. If you take SLX Flash Point indicated in the majority of its PDS and BITOG VOAs, you would discover that measured F.P. was always lower than 238 C (COC). So, I would not fully rely on PDS.

I recently spoke with Castrol UK and was told that SLX is not discontinued, but moved to be a "shop product" rather than retail. I was told that as long as there is demand, it will be produced.

SLX has always been a shop product in Europe, and so is SLX LongTec. It was never sold at major retail outlets the magnitude of Wal-Mart, but could be found at select gas stations and Castrol distributors. I get my SLX from a local distributor in Warsaw, although he's usually not thrilled about people buying retail quantities from him. But I'm no pscholte - I don't have a hangar where I could store 154 liters of it at one time.
wink.gif
worshippy.gif

what about germany? i thought it was a retail product there and now is a shop product

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
SLX has always been a shop product in Europe, and so is SLX LongTec. It was never sold at major retail outlets the magnitude of Wal-Mart, but could be found at select gas stations and Castrol distributors. I get my SLX from a local distributor in Warsaw, although he's usually not thrilled about people buying retail quantities from him. But I'm no pscholte - I don't have a hangar where I could store 154 liters of it at one time.
wink.gif
worshippy.gif

QP,

Do you know a good contractor to expand my hangar;I'm now up to 157...gotta love that stuff!

PS If I were in Poland would this qualify me to call myself a "shop?"
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back