Castrol's 5w-20 motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just visited the Castrol website and "Asked the Expert" to clarify the difference between their 5w-20 GTX and Syntec Blend motor oils. I'd like to know from the horses mouth as to whether or not the GTX (or any "dino" 20 weight, for that matter) must use synthetic/Group III. I'll post Castrol's reply when I get it.

Also, Castrol Syntec is now available in 5w-20 grade!
fruit.gif
. Just when I'd started weening myself off of Mobil 1 0w-20 to safe some money, Castrol goes and makes my choices more difficult! I can't wait to hear how this oil performs.

Z-

I was bit by the new the oil bug myself last night at wallyworld. I bought 6 quarts of syntec blend 5w20. I'll let you know my impressions after I change it this weekend.

You'll never get a straight answer.
lol.gif

My guess would be that GTX is a GPII+ similar to others. The Blend might have some GPIII and a wee bit better add pack. The syn is probably GPIII with the Shell slack wax and some PAO.

Just a guess.

The Motorcraft looks good anyway and no one is going extended drain in this grade, so...
dunno.gif

BlackF250,

I'm running the Syntec Blend right now myself. I'd switched over from the M1 0w-20, and noticed right off the bat that the engine sounded quieter. So far, so good. Are you having as hard of a time finding the 5w-20 Syntec Blend as I am? Wal-Mart seems to be the only place I can locate it, and they're almost always sold out. Heck, when I purchased it for my oil change, those were the last bottles left on the shelf, and they haven't re-stocked yet.

P.S. - still waiting to hear from Castrol....

I asked Castrol for a typical data sheet on the blend and was told it's not yet available. Hmmm.
dunno.gif
I will keep using the GTX I can get on sale for 1.38 until I see some true numbers on the blend.

Just received the reply from Castrol. As expected, they still don't have the updated specs for the Syntec or Syntec Blend in 5w-20, but "will be sure to forward them" as soon as they get them in the office.
banghead.gif

Also, there was no mention whatsoever of a response for the difference between the GTX and Syntec Blend. All I did get was another copy of the specs for the GTX oils. If anybody is interesed in those, let me know.
frown.gif

[ March 11, 2004, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

While I am somewhat distrustful of the company, I would like to see the specs.
Could you post them?

quote:

Originally posted by ZiTS:
Just received the reply from Castrol. As expected, they still don't have the updated specs for the Syntec or Syntec Blend in 5w-20, but "will be sure to forward them" as soon as they get them in the office.
banghead.gif

Also, there was no mention whatsoever of a response for the difference between the GTX and Syntec Blend. All I did get was another copy of the specs for the GTX oils. If anybody is interesed in those, let me know.
frown.gif

Castrol GTX 5w-20
API Service = SL
ILSAC = GF-3
Specific Gravity, 60*F = 0.857
Pounds per Gallon = 7.14
Viscosity, cSt 100*C = 8.8
Viscosity, cSt 40*C = 50
Viscosity Index = 158
Low temperature {*C} Cranking
Viscosity, cP max = Low Temperature {C} Pumping
Viscosity, cP max = 60,000{-35C}
HT/HS Shear Rate Viscosity, cP@150*C = 2.8
Flash Point, COC, *F{*C} = 400{204}
Fire Point, COC, *F{*C} = 430{221}
Pour Point, *C max = -30
Zinc %wt = 0.11
Phosphorus %wt = 0.10

Sorry - didn't know how to post the e-mailed .pdf file, so I simply typed everything verbatim.

cheers.gif

[ March 13, 2004, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

Anyone have any other info on the Syntec 5w-20? The data sheets say it's 9.0 cSt which is thicker the most other 20wt oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back