castrol

In Australia for a 2017 2.5L NA CX-5 they allow everything from a GF-5 0W20 to a A3/B4 10W40, including 5W30 and 10W30.

Since you do a lot of short tripping, using a thin synthetic 5W30 A5/B5 makes sense. The 913-D oils are at the very thin end of the 5W30 grade, almost a 20 grade, but since your Mazda can use 0W20 this will be fine.

One of the other oils to consider, if you can get it, is Castrol Edge 10W30 A5/B5, it has a low Noack at about 8% and is a little thicker for a GF-5 oil with a HTHS of 3.2 cP.

Originally Posted by avi1777
tnx mate u have the noack on the stop start btw?.

No idea about the Stop-Start, it should be below 13% to make A5/B5.

You could try asking Castrol, they sometimes give a straight answer, but only sometimes. They gave me the HTHS and TBN of the Edge 10W30 when I asked.

lspi is in forced induction engins mine is a naturaly aspirated.

I'm surprised no one spotted this error. LSPI is not only inherent in forced induction engines. It's a problem with GDI engines. A very large portion of GDI engines are N/A.

Originally Posted by madeej11

I'm surprised no one spotted this error. LSPI is not only inherent in forced induction engines. It's a problem with GDI engines. A very large portion of GDI engines are N/A.

LSPI happens only in turbocharged engines -- not necessarily always in those equipped with direct injection but occasionally also in those equipped with port injection -- but usually both turbocharged and GDI, namely TGDI.

Perhaps you are thinking about the intake-valve deposits (IVD). IVD happens in both GDI and TGDI engines.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/articles/passenger-cars/lspi-and-lubricant-auto-ignition/

Get the 0Wx30 a3/b4 edge it's SL and nothing wrong with that ... I think hths is 3.5
Forget Stop and Start a5 ... 3.5 will do the stop & start for you.

Originally Posted by donnyj08

True, however your Engine is DI and has a relatively high compression ratio of 13:1 U.S. and 14:1 in other places so SN+ certainly will not hurt.

Any modern oil from a reputable company will serve your vehicle well.

BTW: 13:1 is sold in North America and all European areas get 14:1.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by madeej11

LSPI happens only in turbocharged engines -- not necessarily always in those equipped with direct injection but occasionally also in those equipped with port injection -- but usually both turbocharged and GDI, namely TGDI.

Perhaps you are thinking about the intake-valve deposits (IVD). IVD happens in both GDI and TGDI engines.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/articles/passenger-cars/lspi-and-lubricant-auto-ignition/

I thought that youidentified in previous threads thatyour Corrola was ghe quinticentially ideal LSPI test bed based on your observations of it's behaviour...in spite of the lack of the essntial requirements that you now list...

makes sence,my car sounds like a diesel.

Then perhaps there is something mechanically wrong with the engine.

Originally Posted by kschachn
makes sence,my car sounds like a diesel.

Then perhaps there is something mechanically wrong with the engine.

nop.all skyactive engines sounds like that due to there high compression snd a bit due to the headers dedign.

it sounds diesel'ish not diesel to be exact and maybe yours sounded less its beacuse of the lower c ratio than the European models anyhow the web is full of mazda owners complaining on loud start ups and noise.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Like here...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4711287/dexos2_includes_an_LSPI_test??

yet another example.....

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...asi-lspi-observation-with-an-sn-plus-oil

When they say LSPI, they are talking specifically about preignition in turbocharged gasoline direct-injection engines, where it can becomes violent and can cause severe damage. Does preignition happen in naturally aspirated engines as well? Of course, it does. Can it be damaging? Yes, depending on how severe it is.

I do experience low-speed pinging in my carbureted 1985 Corolla when I advanced the timing beyond about 7° with 87-octane fuel and did also experience it in my port-fuel-injection 2009 Corolla. Now, is this preignition and detonation? I am more inclined to think it's detonation but I don't know. The NGK video in my thread linked above explains that advancing the timing increases the cylinder temperature and can cause preignition. This is in addition to advancing the timing causing detonation.

Update on the low-speed pinging on the Corolla with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 SN PLUS oil (my thread Shannow linked): I have now driven over 3,000 miles and I doubt the SN PLUS oil helped with low-speed pinging, as I occasionally hear it. The engine runs extremely smooth and I get great gas mileage though -- around 30 MPG in mixed driving.

Also, LSPI in turbocharged engines seems to be caused by the oil. I don't think any detonation or preignition is caused by oil in my engine. However, I should be careful. I don't know how the chemistry (Ca vs. Mg) of the ash-deposits on spark plugs affect any preignition events caused by hot spark plugs.

This picture by Infineum clearly explains why and how LSPI happens in TGDI engines: (1) Direct injection causes the fuel to mix with the oil on the cylinder liner (green bubbles in the picture). (2) This lowers the autoignition temperature of the fuel as it now contains oil additives -- particularly the calcium detergent -- and the high cylinder temperatures in high-power-density turbocharged engines causes the fuel mixed with the oil additives to autoignite, which is called dieseling or alternatively preignition. Note that preignition is followed by detonation (knock).

[Linked Image]

You stated multiple times THAT YOUR CORRLOOA WAS EXPERIENCING LSPI...I, and others, tried to correct you, but you were adamant...just saying.

In typical fashion, you have now changed your understanding, and with "look over there, a bunny", and some pretty pictures, which those of us trying to correct you at the time were perfectly aware of...

You stated multiple times THAT YOUR CORRLOOA WAS EXPERIENCING LSPI...I, and others, tried to correct you, but you were adamant...just saying.

In typical fashion, you have now changed your understanding, and with "look over there, a bunny", and some pretty pictures, which those of us trying to correct you at the time were perfectly aware of...

Sir, I've corrected you on many occasions as well but I don't feel the need to bring them up over and over at every opportunity. Moreover, if the Corolla or any other car has some low-speed preignition events, let that be, even if it's not LSPI in the sense that it refers to a phenomenon observed in TGDI engines.

As for the pretty picture, no, it's not a distraction. It explains LSPI very well -- you probably didn't fully understand it either before you saw it, like the direct injection mixing the oil with the fuel and lowering the autoignition temperature; so, it's an opportunity for all of us to learn something new.

As for the pretty picture, no, it's not a distraction. It explains LSPI very well -- you probably didn't fully understand it either before you saw it, like the direct injection mixing the oil with the fuel and lowering the autoignition temperature; so, it's an opportunity for all of us to learn something new.

Nope, I got it...I did all the IC engine theory subjects I could take...when I did my engineering degree, including emissions theory, oil and fuel adsorption and desorption on cylinder walls, and teh behavior of crevice volumes...

Thus I'm not in the habit of making stuff up that fits my imaginings, posting it as fact, and then dying in the trenches over it.

Nope, I got it...I did all the IC engine theory subjects I could take...when I did my engineering degree, including emissions theory, oil and fuel adsorption and desorption on cylinder walls, and teh behavior of crevice volumes...

OK, you figured out the LSPI phenomenon before any scientists did, who actually spent a long time trying to understand it and had some success only very recently. Why didn't you publish a paper on it? Why didn't you even bother explaining it to people on this board? I would appreciate if you could point me to your write-up if you have any.

Thus I'm not in the habit of making stuff up that fits my imaginings, posting it as fact, and then dying in the trenches over it.

How about repeatedly claiming incorrectly that the HTHS viscosity is in the second Newtonian phase and unfairly beating me on your false claim in every opportunity? That puts you "in the habit of making stuff up that fits my imaginings, posting it as fact, and then dying in the trenches over it," doesn't it?

Back