castrol

hi guys,
i was wondering about the castrol stop start 5w30 a5,
what its noac,hths,zddp ex,couldnt find on line and how it compared to the edge a5.
i have a 17 2.5liter n.a mazda cx5 and the european stop start seems to work fine,made the car quiet and no oil consumption,but i was wondering if the egde if better.
thanks.

Originally Posted by avi1777
the sn+is not designed for the lspi problem?

To help minimize and/or prevent lspi, I'd suggest buying SN Plus oils with the Dexos 1 Gen 2 certification.

lspi is in forced induction engins mine is a naturaly aspirated.

Last edited:
LSPI is an issue in forced induction engines - mine is a naturaly aspirated.

I agree.

Run whatever name brand oil that is affordable and convenient to purchase.

lspi is in forced induction engins mine is a naturaly aspirated.

True, however your Engine is DI and has a relatively high compression ratio of 13:1 U.S. and 14:1 in other places so SN+ certainly will not hurt.

Any modern oil from a reputable company will serve your vehicle well.

Last edited:
We get Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W30 A5 over here in Oz.

It's rated SN/CF, A5/B5 and Ford WSS-M2C913-D.

That 913-D spec is a global Ford spec, for outside North America. It's starts as a full synthetic 5W30, at the thin end of the viscosity grade for fuel economy, usually with elevated ZDDP for extra cam chain protection and elevated TBN for long oil change interval.

Standard A5/B5 requires a Noack below 13%, TBN min of 8 but Ford requires a min TBN of 10.

I think 913-D is an excellent oil standard and a improvement over the already good A5/B5 standard.

All the other 913-D oils I have seen are API SL due to elevated ZDDP, but for some reason Castrol calls theirs SN & GF-4 (not 5). Probably their interpretation of the max Phos limit rules.

The Aussie oil claims SN/CF, GF-4, A5/B5 and Ford 913-D.

The global spec sheet claims SN, GF-5, A5/B5 and Ford 913-D.

Go figure. They don't give zinc / phos levels for the Castrol product, it's high SAPS, not sure of ZDDP, Every other 913-D is high ZDDP and API SL, again can't be sure for Castrol.

Here is their Spec Sheet (PDF Link)

Originally Posted by SR5

Go figure. They don't give zinc / phos levels for the Castrol product, it's high SAPS, not sure of ZDDP, Every other 913-D is high ZDDP and API SL, again can't be sure for Castrol.

yes thats my spec to in israel sn ilsac 4.
is it as good as the egde?cost the same here,
tnx.

i bought this on beacuse i do very short trips during the week only weekends im on the highway,thought i will be good for that plus its cheap to buy,any other recommended oil?
tnx

Originally Posted by SR5

yes thats my spec to in israel sn ilsac 4.
is it as good as the egde?cost the same here,
tnx.

Magnatec is midlevel base oil. Edge is Premium. Could also be a small difference in a few additives.... I dunno. If your stores charge the same price, then buy the Edge, unless none is available for your needed specifications.
In that case, bite the bullet and pay the same price for the Magnatec. Both are good oils. What's equally important is the length of OCI, driving habits and oil filter.

i might extend the oci,got the car just 3months ago.it has 20k miles on it.the dealer told me once a year or10k miles but i doubt i can hold my self a whole year without changing oil.

Avi1777,
What Edge 5W30 do you get in Israel ?

Is it like North America in being SN+, GF-5, Dexos1-Gen2 ?
Or is it like Australia and NZ being SL (high ZDDP), A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 ?

They are two very different oils. Both high quality, but very different. And both different again from a full synthetic Magnatec 5W30 A5/B5.

In North America it looks like Edge and Magnatec carry much the same specs, just different price points. In Europe, NZ and Australia they are often different oils made to meet different OEM specs and are often at similar price points. I suspect your market may be like mine. In which case buy the oil that carries the specs you require.

we have the c1,2 3 and the ll and the lll long life i think its called,saw the a5 somwhere but dont know if its available.

Back