Castrol TWS 10W-60 - Best fuel economy ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr T, are you going to do a UOA of the 10w60 so we can see how it held up?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Dr T, are you going to do a UOA of the 10w60 so we can see how it held up?

Considering he can practically walk to the Wearcheck lab here, there is no excuse for him NOT to do a UOA on this oil.
smile.gif

I'm gonna HAVE to move to
canada.gif
; we have board members who live next door to GC emporiums and others within walking distance of their UOA labs. It just isn't fair!

Yeah, I will because I'm interested in seeing some numbers too...I just never recorded exact mileage with this first interval because it was just that, the first interval and so the numbers would probably not be an accurate representation of things....

The point being here is patience to allow for cleaning to take place...the changes of recent became more noticeable with each tankfull.

As far as 0-20 being necessary...it's hard to comment because it probably does make a difference when the engine is new...and that's when they're doing the EPA and Fuel economy testing...

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:

VERY interesting! So is xW-20 really necessary?

Jason

My thoughts exactly! I just got back from the trip and recorded my best ever on my 325i - 30MPG. I made 450 miles on a tank with on-board computer showing some 30 miles left, 150 miles were done in the city, the rest on a highway doing around 80MPH. The car is just reaching 16K miles and I run BMW synthetic, rather thick 30 weight. I expect even better mileage in a future and don't see how 20 weight could make a significant difference.

One think that amazes me is how big is the difference between city and highway driving on my bimmer. OBC shows only 18MPG during city and occasional backroad driving. I bet it would probably go down to 12MPG if I took the car to the track.

F1Crazy,

Don't forget that you have the benefit of your car having been broken in by Juan Manual Tranny!
grin.gif

If you guys are interested in UOA on TWS 10W-60, I think I've seen it on one of the bimmer boards. I can look it up and post it after I talk to the original poster. Let me know.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
F1Crazy,

Don't forget that you have the benefit of your car having been broken in by Juan Manual Tranny!
grin.gif

Let me tell you, it makes all the difference! Bimmer is much better than that POS FIAT that Mickey "Spoonface" Shoemaker broken in for me...
grin.gif

I just finished about 5k mi. on the E.U. Castrol TWS 10-60 and am getting the best fuel economy of all time. Initially, the f.e. went for a major crap (similar to M-1 15-50 I was using last year). A definate f.e. improvement with Syntec 5-50, but I'm now getting even better mileage with the 10-60. How do I explain this? I think it's the cleaning that's taken place removing the garbage and leaving just a high quality lubricating film in between the moving parts. I ultimately want to go the full 9-10k mi. interval spec'd by BMW and wasn't comfortable with the look of the 10-60 after 5-6k. It was pretty black looking. Total added was 1/2 qt...so the consumption has been the lowest to day too. Could it be due to oil shearing and viscosity drop with time? Visually, the oil still looked pretty much the same viscosity...pretty robust (obviously, it's a 10-60)...

For comparison sake, the f.e. is now the same as it was when I switched to Havoline Synth. 5-40 (from BMW 5-30). Customarily, I get about 290-300mi/tank. I'm now getting 335-350 with the same driving style. Comments??

I recently got back from a trip to Toronto and recorded the best fuel economy ever on my turbo SAAB--35 MPG! (around 500 miles on 14.28 U.S. gallons of gasoline)

This was achieved on Mobil 1 0W-40 at speeds of 70 to 90 mph (mostly around 75 mph though). The oil had about 1,500 miles on it so I don't think that it has "sheared down to a 30 weight" yet, which is a common criticism of this oil.

The '02 SAAB 9-5 AERO is EPA rated 31 MPG highway and my car is exceeding that by a healthy margin.

Another person on a SAAB forum I frequent reported a significant increase in fuel economy after switching to Delvac 1 5W-40 (from Mobil 1 10W-30).

So I find it VERY interesting that xW-40 weight oils, and now also, an xW-60 oil, are providing enhanced fuel economy.

VERY interesting! So is xW-20 really necessary?

Jason

[ September 11, 2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: quadrun1 ]

F1, I'd love to see that UOA on the TWS, please post it! 30 mpg on a 325i? That's very good! Is yours step or stick? Which BMW forum do you frequent? (PM it to me I guess?)

My cousin's 325i (stick) has yet to attain anywhere close to 30 mpg, we're thinking because top gear is so short (70 mph is a rather busy 3,000 rpm).

I have a 530i with a 5 speed. I got 31 MPG (601 miles on a tank) when it was 1 month old (~1000 miles on the clock). Speeds ranged from 70 - 80 and one burst to _10. I usually get 24 or 25 MPG all around and I push it very hard.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
Imperial gallon = 1.032 US gallon if that has any bearing on this discussion.

Yep that's true, Imperial gallon is bigger, it's 4.5L, compared to the US gallon which is 3.785L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back