Castrol synthetic info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les

Don't shoot me!!
I am just quoting some info I found from Castrol.

Cost..PAO 3-4 times the cost of hydroprocessed.
Performance. Castrol North America claims that Syntec, made from hydroprocessed out performs Mobil 1 made from PAO, at less than half the cost.
We believe that hydroprocessed oils are of similar performance to PAO products down to SAE 5w.
Is hydroisomerized as good as PAO?
No not quite as good but much better value for the money.
----------------------------------
Oh yeah, it said somewhere in there that SLX is a PAO oil. So is TXT 10w40 but not TXT Soft tec.
Les

quote:

Performance. Castrol North America claims that Syntec, made from hydroprocessed out performs Mobil 1 made from PAO, at less than half the cost.
We believe that hydroprocessed oils are of similar performance to PAO products down to SAE 5w.

If they admit it is cheap to make, how do they justify selling it for PAO prices?
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
I am just quoting some info I found from Castrol.

Performance. Castrol North America claims that Syntec, made from hydroprocessed out performs Mobil 1 made from PAO, at less than half the cost. We believe that hydroprocessed oils are of similar performance to PAO products down to SAE 5w. Is hydroisomerized as good as PAO?
No not quite as good but much better value for the money.

Fine,

Hey Castrol, if group III is so great and cheaper than PAO, then charge $3.00 a bottle instead of $4.50-$5.00 per bottle. It would be great thing to pass along savings to the consumer. I thought that the consumer was supposed to "get what he/she pays for".

quote:

If they admit it is cheap to make, how do they justify selling it for PAO prices?
mad.gif

Exactly
smile.gif
But they figure that with the "dumbing down" of the U.S.A no one except those of us on Bob's board will catch it
lol.gif

[ August 13, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

mad.gif
[/QUOTE]That is I feel about it to.
worshippy.gif
Why don't thet tell you (BRAG) it is a Group III. Are they embarrassed? I always like thet word "similar" that sure covers a wide range, Don't it?
mad.gif

[ August 13, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Hirev ]

Groucho Said"

Simple pricing theory. Price the product at what people will pay for it.

It works with motor oil.

It works with entertainment.

It works with professional sports.

It works with bottled water"

And Boy!!! It sure works with SUVs.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
It works with bottled water!

Slightly OT, but has anyone ever noticed that "Evian" spelled backwards is "Naive".
rolleyes.gif
Sort of the same principle w/ Castrol (as w/ most NA full synthetic oils). Take a "non-full synthetic" (tap water), then label it as a "full synthetic" (bottled water), & sell it for a higher price. Of course this excludes Castrol's Euro stuff they have been importing recently.

[ August 13, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: LiquidS2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by John in the ATL:
Fine,

Hey Castrol, if group III is so great and cheaper than PAO, then charge $3.00 a bottle instead of $4.50-$5.00 per bottle. It would be great thing to pass along savings to the consumer. I thought that the consumer was supposed to "get what he/she pays for". [/QB]

Well I have posted this 2 or 3 times lately, but Castrol is only $3.65- $3.97 a quart if you buy it at Walmart. Which is .80 less than M1 at $4.77 a quart. Also I noticed yesterday that Advanced Auto is now selling Syntec at $3.99 opposed to the $4.99 price they had before.
And last but not least when I was down in Clinton, Mo last weekend, I saw that they had certain grades of Syntec at $3.25 a quart, so pricing is coming down a bit on Syntec.
I assume to compete w/ M1 lowering their prices a bit.

JP

How much does Autozone sell the German 0w30 Syntec for?

Up here in Canada, Walmart sells Mobil 1 for $7.12 per liter, and the German Castrol for $6.66 (oil from the devil?)
shocked.gif

Although if you buy M1 in the 4.4L jugs it's cheaper. The 0w30 doesn't come in anything but the 1L bottles.

Patman,

It's $4.99 a qt in CO unless you catch the 12 qt at a time deal and then it is $4.79.

PS Hey, this harkens back to our thread on things to tell our lovelies to explain why we have so much oil..."Honey, had to get 12 qts to get the special price...and then I had to get 13 more because I need an exact multiple of 5 for our oil changes and I had to get 13 instead of 3 to get the special price and............"

[ August 13, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by day1si:
Well I have posted this 2 or 3 times lately, but Castrol is only $3.65- $3.97 a quart if you buy it at Walmart. Which is .80 less than M1 at $4.77 a quart. Also I noticed yesterday that Advanced Auto is now selling Syntec at $3.99 opposed to the $4.99 price they had before.
I saw that they had certain grades of Syntec at $3.25 a quart.

Good point. If Syntec is priced twice as much as regular dino ($3.00-$3.50), then that would be a fair price. They could also junk the Syntec Blend garbage at $2.00-$2.50 while they are at it.

[ August 13, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: John in the ATL ]

On the price in My area 2 local stores have both in stock. The Syntec goes for 4.59 and 4.79. The Mobil 1 goes for 4.79 and 4.99. Both to much for my budget nowadays.

buy retail and pay the piper.

Read Petro-Can's literature where they specifically make claims that their synthetic oil IS less expensive than PAO based lubricants, yes they spell out PAO. They also confidently claim that their product is using Group III.

Then go to a retail Petro-Can gas station and you can buy a litre of PC Synthetic for $9.99!! Then travel on over to your friendly neighbourhood PC truckstop and purchase the same fluid for half the price.

Blame the middle man.

At most retail stores, Valvoline, Castrol, and Pennzoil Group III synthetics are priced similar to M1.

Chevron/Havoline, Shell Rotella and BMW/Castrol synthetics are usually priced under $4/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back