castrol synthetic 5w-50 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 92 cadillac seville with 4.9 v8 engine.

I can get unlimited free castrol synthetic 5w-50 oil (used in mercedes)

any experience? Is it a good comparable oil to mobil 1, and will my gas mileage decrease, or could it be "bad" for the engine because when it gets to a 50 weight it will be to heavy and cause extra engine resistance?

any thoughts on 5w-50 appreciated. basically i want my engine to run as long as possible, and i can get this oil for free....

quote:

Originally posted by eldawg4100:
I have a 92 cadillac seville with 4.9 v8 engine.

I can get unlimited free castrol synthetic 5w-50 oil (used in mercedes)

any experience? Is it a good comparable oil to mobil 1, and will my gas mileage decrease, or could it be "bad" for the engine because when it gets to a 50 weight it will be to heavy and cause extra engine resistance?

any thoughts on 5w-50 appreciated. basically i want my engine to run as long as possible, and i can get this oil for free....

While Castrol's Syntec 5w50 is on the MB 229.1 list, it isn't "used in Mercedes" in the sense that it is a factory fill oil. The only synthetic sold in the US that is used by Mercedes as a factory fill oil is Mobil 1 0w40. This is what comes in all Mercedes AMG models.

If you can get this oil for free, I'd use it. But I wouldn't go over 5000 miles between changes.

i work at one of the biggest mercedes dealerships around, and they always use the 5w-50 at the quiklube bays for the mercedes

hell, i could change the oil every 2000 miles, i just want to know that it will protect and not cause engine wear just about as good as my mobil 1 10w30.....

Your dealerships quick-lube bay may be using Castrol, but that doesn't mean that the cars are filled with it from the factory. If its free, use it! If you gotta' buy it, go Mobil 1.

yea, its free, just wanted to make sure im gettin about the same level of protection from the castrol synthetic!
the 50 kinda threw me off but who knows..
i just want the engine to stay clean and last long time!

Hi,
Here is a Blackstone Lab sample report on Castrol Syntec 5W-50 posted in August. I'd stay with it for FREE! As it is$$ with all the negative flak on this forum, I'm giving a shot to an out-dated but cheaper Havoline Synthetic 5W-40. Like you, I just want my Ford Van (4.2 V-6) to last.
Ron
wink.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000081

quote:

Originally posted by eldawg4100:
i work at one of the biggest mercedes dealerships around, and they always use the 5w-50 at the quiklube bays for the mercedes

Well, I'd say your dealership is in violation of Mercedes-Benz's own directives regarding oils used in FSS vehicles. They have a specific list of 229.3 oils for use in North American vehicles that are FSS equipped. Castrol Syntec 5w50 is not on that list. However, MB dealers do stock Castrol Syntec 5w40 (which is 229.3 approved). In fact, BMW and MB dealers are the only retail outlets for this weight of Syntec. (In fact, if you can get the 5w40 Syntec "free" as well, that's what I'd use if I were you.)

[ December 01, 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back