Castrol Syntec's Basestocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that this is a misunderstood engine oil . All I've ever read here was it's a group III Synthetic but it's not group III only these days . Yes it has group III as we know it along with Shells XHVI 5.2 Slack Wax and PAO in the 5w-30 , 10w-30, 10w-40 and the new 5w-40 .

The 5w and 10w-30 have been upgraded to A5 recently and I will be interested to see how these oils do in good engines over the previous A1 rating they had .

The 5w-50 is formulated differently from what I can tell . I try to find out more about it and the new 5w-20 they have .

And that strong detergent smell of the Syntecs , it's Calcium Hypochlorite it appears .

You indicated in your VOA post of 10w-40 syntec that you have a data sheet for it. Can you list the pour point and CCS cold cranking numbers? Thanks. Also, do you happen to know the HT/HS viscosity? The stuff looks superb; will be my next oil I think.

The HT/HS of the 10w-40 is 3.8 . Remember though this is a light 40wt . The sheet shows -33c max pp .

That new 5w-40 Syntecs HT/HS at 150c is 4.5 ! Same as the 5w-50 .

I bet the new 5w-40 is some good oil as well . Might want to hold out for it in a 40wt since it's also 4 bucks a quart if they sell it in the jugs .
smile.gif

SAE 5W-40: is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Corvette GM 4718M, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

[ February 09, 2004, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Motorbike thanks for the info. Trying to get info out of Castrol is like trying pick you knose with your elbow! I have been telling everyone I know that I think that quality synthetic 5W40 are the best overall comprimise!

Granted it is just my opion but they surely apear to be the best all around year round oil! They apear to be shear stable yet flow well when could. Any shear stable oil with an HTHS above 4 makes my a happy camper!!

What does -33C max pp mean?

Also, do you know if they are going to start heavily marketing the Belgin 5w-40, like at Walmart and such? I've looked high and dry, nowhere to be found. Actually, here in CO Springs, I have NEVER seen a 5w-40 other than Rotella synthetic. What up with that!!!

Motorbike,

Thanks for the great info...now if you can just find out if BC is even greener than GC!

According to the data sheet, BC is amber in color so no greenie.
tongue.gif

quote:

CASTROL NORTH AMERICA INC.
CONSUMER MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
SECTION I: IDENTITY
Product/Material Name: Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil
Chemical Name: Mixture
Chemical Family/Classification: Synthetic hydrocarbon
INGREDIENTS - CHEMICAL/COMMON NAME EXPOSURE LIMITS -
TLV
LD50 LC50 %
Synthetic hydrocarbons and neutral oils which
may contain one or more of the following:
CASRN 68037-01-4, 64742-54-7, 64742-65-0,
68649-12-7, 64741-88-4, 72623-87-1, 92062-09-
TWA: 5 mg/m3
Suggested
Oral, rat: > 5 g/kg. ND 70-100
Multi-functional additive mixture composed of
organo-metallic compounds, typically containing
zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate, calcium salts of
alkylated phenol sulfides, magnesium
sulphonate, alkylated diphenyl amines, and other
proprietary.ingredients CASRN NA,
Mixture
ND ND ND 15-30
SECTION VI: PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Boiling Point: ND Specific Gravity (Water=1): 0.85
Vapor Pressure mm.Hg. @ 25C: ND Vapor Density Air=1: ND
Percent Volatiles: Negligible Evaporation RateBuAc=1: < 0.1
Solubility in Water: Negligible Freezing Point: -22F to -40F -30C to -40C
pH-Value: NA Viscosity @ 100C, cSt.: 12.8 typ.
Odor Threshold: NA Coefficient of Water/Oil Distribution: ND
Appearance, Odor & Physical State: Clear, amber liquid; mild petroleum odor
Flash Point COC: 437F 225C min.
Fire Point COC: > 450F 232C min.
Section 313 Toxic Release Inventory Chemical/Category:
Zinc compounds, 2.5% wt. max.

I have used Syntec 10W-30 in both my vehicles for a couple of years. I've been happy with it's performance.
grin.gif

Both my 5 gallon jugs I use for re-cycling are A5, so it has been for at least awhile.

My old truck is much quieter with Syntec than it was with 10-40 or 20-50 dino.

I was disappointed to not see any meaningful uoa's on this forum.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
The HT/HS of the 10w-40 is 3.8 . Remember though this is a light 40wt . The sheet shows -33c max pp .

That new 5w-40 Syntecs HT/HS at 150c is 4.5 ! Same as the 5w-50 .

I bet the new 5w-40 is some good oil as well . Might want to hold out for it in a 40wt since it's also 4 bucks a quart if they sell it in the jugs .
smile.gif

SAE 5W-40: is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Corvette GM 4718M, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Moto,
Thanks for this post. I've been looking for a decent and well priced 5W-40 for my LS1. Can you give us a "guesstimate" as to what the base stock ratios are in this oil. Does the 10W-40 meet the same specs? Which would you choose between these two?

Thanks
Rick

The 10w-40 meets all but the 502-505 VW specs that the 5w-40 does .

I think the 5w-40 Syntec would be a great choice for an LS-1 at the same price and better specs. They put oil through the wringer to meet that 505 spec. It's difficult to wash off the finger , more so than the 10w-40 FWIW.. ask me how I know .
smile.gif

Motorbike's been hooking us up with all the good stuff lately.
wink.gif
There are other great oils out there like these. Now where can I get them?
smile.gif

I went by the VW parts store and looked at all three syntheic's bottles today. None of them had the starburst on them, although my owner's manual states to look for it. Anyway, they had the GC, the 'old' syntec 5w-40 that meets the 502, 505 spec for $6.70, and then the 'new' 5w-40 that has 505.01 in big letters on the front of the bottle for $7.67. I just need an oil that is a 5w-40 that will last for 5k miles for my warantee. I called Kendell and their 5w-40 is a group IV pao, so I don't know if it would be better to use it or the Castrol since it was made for VW's. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back