Castrol Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, first of all, I wanna say, great site, very informative, I look forward to sticking around for a while.

Anyways, I have been running nothing but Castrol Syntec in my car, usually 0W30 in winter, and 5W50 in the summer, from the time my car has been brand new until now with 300,000 kms on it (approx 200,000 miles). Would like to get labwork done to see how it has been so far in my car. Does it cost much for the tests, maybe Castrol should volunteer to pay for me, since it would be good advertising if all is well.

Also I just got a caseload of the new GC 0W30, and hope to try it out soon. Just wondering if this is really as good as they say, can you run it throughout summer as well, being it has a 30 weight, or is that not a good idea? As if it is, maybe I'll stock up and get 20 or 30 bottles of the stuff, assuming i like the results.

Good grief, not another Cannuck!!!
welcome.gif

canada.gif

I hate to admit, but I did see Castrol GDR at Walmart, and no, I didn't smell the stuff, or buy any.

Hey thanks,

And by the way, in case anyone is wondering, the car is a 99 Integra, and I usually change oil every 10,000 kms (6,000 miles) usually every second month.

welcome.gif

The German Castrol 0W-30 will work very well in most cars in warm weather. Some older cars with high mileage will work better with something a little thicker.
quote:

maybe Castrol should volunteer to pay for me, since it would be good advertising if all is well.

Not likely that Castrol will like this idea!

Hmm, sounds like i'm gonna be scrounging around the city looking for bottles of GC like many others I've seen from the forum.

And I know that they wouldn't go for it, but how many times do they get vechiles with 300,000kms on them, that have never had anything but their product run through them? Seeing as everyone on here seems to be continously looking for something better.

Although I admit, when I found out that Syntec wasn't really "Synthetic" as everyone is stating, I was about to change to M1, but well, think I might just see how well the GC works for now.

quote:

Originally posted by Vivisector:
Hmm, sounds like i'm gonna be scrounging around the city looking for bottles of GC like many others I've seen from the forum.

And I know that they wouldn't go for it, but how many times do they get vechiles with 300,000kms on them, that have never had anything but their product run through them? Seeing as everyone on here seems to be continously looking for something better.

Although I admit, when I found out that Syntec wasn't really "Synthetic" as everyone is stating, I was about to change to M1, but well, think I might just see how well the GC works for now.

I went looking today for some GC oil in a few Canadian tires and Walmarts today and there were all out. Seems like someone bought everything in the Montreal area.
frown.gif

I will try a few places tomorrow......

Don't forget, Delvac 1 5W-40 is readily available at Canadian Wal-marts. I think this is overlooked as just another "fleet diesel oil" when it really seems to be something special.

Our friends from "down under" like Delvac 1 better than GC and Mobil 1 0W-40 in both cars and trucks!

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:
Don't forget, Delvac 1 5W-40 is readily available at Canadian Wal-marts. I think this is overlooked as just another "fleet diesel oil" when it really seems to be something special.

Our friends from "down under" like Delvac 1 better than GC and Mobil 1 0W-40 in both cars and trucks!

hmmmm....I wonder how well it'll work in the V6 Taurus SHO.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Is that the Mazda V6 engine?

No. The 89-95 SHO is equipped with a 220HP 24 valve DOHC V-6 manufactured for Ford by Yamaha, a handling suspension similar to that in the police package Taurus, better seats, and unique exterior trim.
"Because the engine is not boosted, it runs cooler. It supplies a smooth flow of power right up to 7300 rpm. At this point, a rev limiter starts cutting out cylinders to hold the rpms steady at 7300. This technique for preventing over-revving is the result of Ford's Formula 1 racing experience. This rev limiter is not designed to protect the engine, but to protect accessory drive components. The engine itself has been tested at rpm's greater than 8500."
(Taken from the SHOtimes website.)
grin.gif

Just a clarification.

Did you believe from the get go you were actually using a synthetic oil?

I would hate to think Castrol shammed you to into there less than honest "synthetic" scheme.

If you do not know what am I talking about do read up on Group III's or go to Amsoil's site.

God job on the switch to German bottled Castrol. Your engine will see a REAL synthetic for the 1st time!

Yep, I was shammed. But thanks to this site, and lots of other research I have been doing latley, I realize now what i didn't then. And yep switching over to the GC shortly, got the bottles, and waiting for the odo. to run up the chart to change. Can't wait to see the difference. I went looking to see if I can find a bit of GC to stock up on, and holy it's everywhere. Went to Partsource, and seen over 60 bottles on the shelf,
grin.gif
searched through and all were GC, and even more in the back. Walmart also has a large shipment of GC, so I will be stocking up soon.

Just one caution when using GC. For the first few times you accelerate, be very measured with throttle application or that puppy will run right out from underneath you...also, hope you have high temperature resistant paint on your car considering the heat caused by friction as you move more rapidly through the atmosphere than you are probably used to...........you'll be fine!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Just one caution when using GC. For the first few times you accelerate, be very measured with throttle application or that puppy will run right out from underneath you...also, hope you have high temperature resistant paint on your car considering the heat caused by friction as you move more rapidly through the atmosphere than you are probably used to...........you'll be fine!
grin.gif

Absolutely, needed to replace all 4 doors on the 323 when i did the switch.

You'll ask: "didn't you have a 328i?" Yes I do, but doesn't mean I don't convert other fanatics and do the inaugural run on their cars.
grin.gif

To admit being shammed!... and then buying oil from the same company is kind of ... @#$%^!!

Buy M1 or Redline or Amsoil; don't support Castrol and ther misleading and fraudulent marketing....do you REALLY know whats in that bottle of GC????????????????????????????????

Just my opinion......

geeeman,

Please see my response to your post on boycotting Castrol. Since I don't know you I have chosen to give you the benefit of the doubt that your intentions are good. Castrol makes some excellently performing products; so because they marketed a Group III oil as a synthetic you write them off? You ask do we REALLY know what is in that bottle of GC. Do YOU REALLY KNOW what it costs Castrol to blend their Group III oil packages and that it is an absolute ripoff? And why aren't you taking Pennzoil, Chevron and Valvoline to task? Please don't tell me it is because Castrol did it first. That won't sell with me. Either all are "wrong" or none are. Quite frankly, if you boycott Castrol, probably all you will accomplish is making more GC available for those of us who want it.
cheers.gif

Boys...Gender neutral...people....

My '92 SHO...wow....nice car...

She had a K&N intake, larger throttle body, SuperChip, true dual exhaust with cross over, SS mufflers, lowered with Eibach springs, carbonmetallic brakes...Almost 300 HP at sea level..

I broke her in on GTX until 1500 miles...after that it was Syntec 5w-50...

That 3.0 liter spent many hours over 4k RPM...7200 RPM redline...after 100k ..I sold her to my best friend...

He is still driving her..hard...

The Syntec still looks like honey on the dip stick...

Was it Yamaha or was it Syntec?

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
....do you REALLY know whats in that bottle of GC????????????????????????????????

I know what was in the bottles I bought: oil, green in color, that smelled like gummie bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back