Castrol Syntec vs. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
I wonder what the percentage of consumers in the USA is that actually knows about what happened ?

What the percentage is that knows and cares?
wink.gif

I would think many more people would care than who actually know what happened.

Why doesn't Mobil do a TV ad: "So, you think you're using a real synthetic in your engine? Think again...."

Dr. T,

I like that phrase.
cool.gif
Send it to Mobil, maybe you'll get a free ball cap or something like Patman does.
grin.gif

I agree that Syntec isn't a very good oil for the price, but they recently (or still do) run ads claiming Syntec was the only leading "synthetic" that passed all 3 severe tests. Anyone else know anything about this claim and the tests?

Jason

Red,

All motor oils contain detergency additives. This is nothing new. Synthetics do clean an engine better than standard oils, but it's not a problem. Years ago, standard oils left a lot more residue in engines than they do currently, and maybe the synthetics we had back then cleaned too well...anyway, back then folks thought that it was a problem. Now all the synthetic oil makers except maybe Amsoil say to just make the switch regardless of the mileage on your engine. Amsoil wants you to use their 15 minute engine flush (which I think is pretty ineffective). If you feel that your engine is heavily sludged and are concerned, a cleaning with Auto-Rx or Schaeffer's #131 Neutra is the best way to go.

I don't think that the term "semi-synthetic" has a standard meaning. Castrol Syntec is made from Group III base oils. That means that it's made from very highly refined petroleum. It does have the legal right to call itself fully synthetic, and it is good oil. Oil base stock fabricated from chemicals is called Group IV (polyaphaolephin...PAO) and Group V (other base oils including esters). These make better motor oil but cost more. The problem most of us have with GR-III oils is that they're priced the same as true synthetics and don't perform as well. If the price is proportional with the quality of the oil, and the consumer understands just what this oil will do and won't do, GR-III synthetics are an OK deal.

Ken

[ February 05, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Ken2,

When I run the Ams flush I fast idle the engine in neutral, at 2x the normal idle speed for a full thirty minutes. I use a brick or a piece of cordwood and ease it up against the gas pedal until I get the rpms I'm looking for on the tach. I find this procedure has worked very well even on pretty sludged/varnished up motors ....The esters in amsoil will clean out any remaining deposits over the course of 6,000-10,000 miles.

I have to say though, I'm very impressed with the AutoRX stuff. If you don't mind spending the $50.00, I think doing the double AutoRX treatment is going to work even better for a high mileage motor ...

I am just going to throw this out there for people to think about. Alot of people on this board are against Castrol for their Marketing Schemes and calling their group III oil a synthetic, and obsiously charging the same price a Mobil ones PAO. Would you still be upset, if Castrol was using the money they saved by using group III basestocks and put it into have a better Additive package? I am not saying they are doing this, but I own a Hyundai Elantra, and Since Castrol sponsers the Hyundai racing team most people on the Hyundai Forums are using Castrol Syntec oil. I have seen many very good analysis results from this oil, though most of them were the 5w50 which is a thicker oil. I still however think that the Syntec is a decent oil, though definetly not in the same league as the PAO based Mobil.

Nailz

quote:

Originally posted by Nailz:
I am just going to throw this out there for people to think about. Alot of people on this board are against Castrol for their Marketing Schemes and calling their group III oil a synthetic, and obsiously charging the same price a Mobil ones PAO. Would you still be upset, if Castrol was using the money they saved by using group III basestocks and put it into have a better Additive package?

Yes, I would still be upset even if they beefed up the additive package. Syntec is a joke. When I buy a full synthetic motor oil, I want a real synthetic. I use the oil because I like the advantages a full syn provides. I want the extra protection I paid for. For me, Mobil 1 or better is the way to go, no Group III's.

All that said, I am responsible for the maintenance on two other cars and I use GTX in them, so I'm not anti-Castrol, just anti-Syntec.

[ February 05, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: mdv ]

Ok MDV everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I thought we learned our lesson on base oils from Bob with the Schaeffers Blend which is mostly a group I dino, Albeit it does have about 15% PAO. Still we learned that a large part of engine wear is decided in the additive package not the base oil. Once again I am not sticking up for Castrol, but I do think that a group III oil could definetly be a better oil than a PAO oil if the manufacturer wanted to put the money saved on base oil into the additive package.

Nailz

quote:

Originally posted by Nailz:
Ok MDV everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I thought we learned our lesson on base oils from Bob with the Schaeffers Blend which is mostly a group I dino, Albeit it does have about 15% PAO. Still we learned that a large part of engine wear is decided in the additive package not the base oil. Once again I am not sticking up for Castrol, but I do think that a group III oil could definetly be a better oil than a PAO oil if the manufacturer wanted to put the money saved on base oil into the additive package.

Nailz

Again, I'm not really anti-Castrol, and I do realize there are some really good oil's out there that don't have to be a Group IV or higher to perform well. For my purposes, I drive on roadcourses for 30 minute sessions in 95 degree weather, autocross AND run "extended" drains on the oil. In short, I want something that can hold up to the heat of running wide open for an extended period of time without causing problems and I don't want to change my oil after every event I run. Castrol Syntec can't fit the bill for me. Mobil 1 held up pretty good under these conditions, why would I pay the same price for Syntec as I can get Mobil 1 for?

I honestly don't think a group III oil is going to last too long under those conditions. Since not everyone is as demanding on motor oil as I am, I can see your point about a Group III base with the proper additives holding up pretty for the majority of motorists. Maybe my last post was worded a little too strong, and I should have qualified it a little more. I think Syntec is a joke because of the pricing structure they have. At my local Wal-Mart, it is actually 40 cents more than Mobil 1 to buy. If they were to make the pricing more reasonable, I might not have as many issues with it.

I still like the GTX and am anxiously awaiting the analysis results on the samples I just sent in.

I finally got around to asking my next door neighbor what oil he uses in his 3.1 V6 Sunbird. This car is fast approaching 400,000km (250k) on it's original engine. He shocked me when he told me that's he's used nothing but Castrol Syntec 5w30!! He typically changes it every 4-5 months he said.

Syntec is not bad oil! The consumer should know what he's buying and pay a price commensurate with the quality of the product. It's these last two items that have some folks against Syntec.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Syntec is not bad oil! The consumer should know what he's buying and pay a price commensurate with the quality of the product. It's these last two items that have some folks against Syntec.

Ken

It's strange because I haven't seen a good analysis report on Syntec, but yet a guy in my car club also recently mentioned he has run nothing but Castrol Syntec 5w50 in his Subaru and has over 400,000km on it too! Makes it hard for me to tell him Castrol Syntec sucks! (although for more of those KM the oil was PAO based)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back