Castrol Syntec vs. Mobile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Don't know what car you have

i have a '97 VW Golf 2.0L engine.

i've been staying away from the 0W cause i tend to drive long distances.
Delvac is a diesel oil right?

quote:

Delvac is a diesel oil right?

Delvac is dual rated for both diesel and gasoline engine use. For some reason a vast number of people have the idea that a diesel rated oil is not also a gasoline engine oil.

There may be a few situations where these are diesel only motor oils, but I am not aware of them.

John

Redline's 15w-40 grade is specifically for diesels only. They are concerned that the add package in this particular oil may foul the plugs in a gasoline engine. There are a couple others like this, but I can't recall which at the moment.

Some of the straight SAE 30, 40, and 50 weights designed for use in Detroit 2 Stroke Diesels do not have a S* rating for gas engines.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Redline's 15w-40 grade is specifically for diesels only.

ekpolk did you ask them to explain that?

Information on the specification sheet says "Diesel Only" but that it carries a SL rating???? How is that possible?
A "Diesel Only" oil with a Service Rating for a Gasoline Engine.
banghead.gif

Gene

No, I didn't ask about that. I still have a paper Redline flyer from about 4-5 years ago where it makes the specific statement regarding plug fouling (but I was looking for oil for a Honda, so I didn't dwell on it). In looking at their current site this evening, I saw the same thing you noted, but I could find no statement regarding plugs. So of course, now I'm wondering whether the disappearance/removal of the plug statement was deliberate, and if so, what to infer from it (no longer bad for plugs? bad for something else?).

To address some of the above questions...

Castrol Formula R 0w-40 is supposedly the same as BP Visco 7000 and is rumoured to be a G-III oil.

Slack Wax is simplly another process to refine base oil. In this case it is extracted from a wax base instead of hydroprocessed crude, but both are called Gruppe III. Slack Wax base is better than hydrocrack, even considerd the equal to older PAOs. Gruppe III doesn't have the seal-shrinking issues and imo, plasticized crud deposits when polyalphaolefin flashes off on hot turbo bearings.

Castrol is the Official Oil of Audi and VW as well as BMW. My car came factory-filled with Castrol SLX, why wouldn't I continue using it?

As far as Mobil vs Castrol, I think GTX is better than DCO, Mobil 1 30Wt is better than US Syntec, but in Europe, Mobil takes a back seat to Castrol in the high-end oil dept. US 30Wt Mobil 1 is made for Japanese cars, imo.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
To address some of the above questions...

Castrol Formula R 0w-40 is supposedly the same as BP Visco 7000 and is rumoured to be a G-III oil.

It's actually a Group 4.

Formula R / RS 0w40, 10w60 and SLX / GC are the only Group 4 oils made by Castrol.

from the castrol syntec site...
SAE 0W-30: is for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F.

quote:

Originally posted by baomo:
from the castrol syntec site...
SAE 0W-30: is for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F.

It is also the same as the original European Castrol SLX. It is a ACEA A3/B3/B4 VW502.00/505.00/503.1 BMW LL-01, M-B 229.1, 229.3 and on the Porsche Approved List.

It is rated for 12,500 mi drains on a 2.0L Ford with a small 4.5 QT Oil capacity and 15,000 mi drains on BMW.

It has Group V Esters that lower the Cold Pumpability and is rated 0W.

Bottle says "Improved European Formula specially formulated to meet the needs of high performance engines." and "Stability under extreme high temperatures which can cause conventional oils to break down".But that is all marketing BS written by a add agency.

Look at the UOA and shear stability, wear numbers, and TBN numbers.

Gene

The only M-1 comparable oil to the Syntec 10-40 would be the SUV 5-40 formula. Both are A3 rated, etc.. IMHO, both are better oils than Syntec or M-1 5-30 or 10-30 weights.

Most of the oil facts mentioned here are questionable. As far as I'm concerned, noone knows the formulation % of Mobil1 or Syntec. I hate it when hearsay suddenly becomes fact.

Baomo, run that Syntec 10w40 for 7500 miles, do a UOA then switch to Mobil1 and repeat. This might be the best way to find which oil is best for your driving style. Also, there is nothing wrong with 0w40. Mobil-1 also has a Truck/Suv 5w40, or just use a 50:50 blend of the 15w50 with the w30wt of your choice.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Most of the oil facts mentioned here are questionable. As far as I'm concerned, noone knows the formulation % of Mobil1 or Syntec. I hate it when hearsay suddenly becomes fact.

Hmmm... I always assumed that if the MSDS has those CAS numbers on it that is what the oil contained. I thought that information was required by federal law. Petroleum Feedstock Group III, SlackWax group III, Group IV, and Group V have different CAS numbers.

Gene

Run the Syntec 10W-40, see if you like it, if you dont, no big deal, just try a different oil.

Quote:
""quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:

>>>
Hmmm... I always assumed that if the MSDS has those CAS numbers on it that is what the oil contained. I thought that information was required by federal law. Petroleum Feedstock Group III, SlackWax group III, Group IV, and Group V have different CAS numbers."""

Gene

>>>

Yeah they don't simply put extra CAS numbers in a MSDS to purposely confuse doctors or others in the health care field when treating emergencies
grin.gif

Haley , that's neat oil and I look forward to your results if you have it tested .
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back