Castrol Syntec Stopped My Oil Consumption..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it hasn't completely stopped it but has reduced it quite a bit. Currently have around 3,500 miles on the oil and have only had to add about 1/4 quart. Whereas with previous oils I would have added close to 2 quarts in 3,500 miles.
Has anyone else experienced that using Castrol?

You might be onto something. I googled for "Castrol Syntec Stopped My Oil Consumption" (without quotations marks) and got a number of hits with similar observations.

I wonder why though. Esters?

I do remember that when I switched from SM syntec edge 5w-30 to regular Mobil 1 5w-30 (BP oil spill was on the mind when I made that decision) in my WRX, my oil consumption jumped quite a bit.

It went from half a quart over a 5k oci to two quarts over a 4k oci.

If I had to guess, I'd say the viscosity was a contributing factor.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Whereas with previous oils I would have added close to 2 quarts in 3,500 miles.

What were your previous oils? Wesson?
wesson_saul_bass.jpg

But google was 0-30 German Castrol which is a heavy wt. Those people saved on oil consumption but lost on mpg.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
You might be onto something. I googled for "Castrol Syntec Stopped My Oil Consumption" (without quotations marks) and got a number of hits with similar observations.

I wonder why though. Esters?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
They're the same grade, both being fairly light 30wts so the viscosity wasn't the reason.

Actually the new EDGE w/Syntec 5W-30 has a cst @100 of 10.7 so it is thicker then before.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
They're the same grade, both being fairly light 30wts so the viscosity wasn't the reason.

Actually the new EDGE w/Syntec 5W-30 has a cst @100 of 10.7 so it is thicker then before.

A higher KV100 spec' doesn't necessarily mean the oil is actually thicker in terms of operational in bearing viscosity otherwise known as HTHS viscosity.
We don't know the HTHS vis' spec' of Castrol's 5W-30 but it's likely in the same 3.0cP - 3.2cP range as most other OTC 5W-30 syn's. Since fuel economy correlates with HTHS vis' at operating temp's, there is very little difference between most typical 5W-30 syn' oils in terms of fuel economy.

Not often you hear oil brand change cures consumption. Castrol makes excellent products IMO.

My car drank Mobil 1 5W30 as well, like 1 qt per 1000 km. I didn't keep it in the engine any longer than that. Seems the stuff is [censored] thin and burns a lot on startup. I haven't been able to find anything that reduces my oil consumption appreciably, it's a mechanical wear problem.

Originally Posted By: Xstang
I do remember that when I switched from SM syntec edge 5w-30 to regular Mobil 1 5w-30 (BP oil spill was on the mind when I made that decision) in my WRX, my oil consumption jumped quite a bit.

It went from half a quart over a 5k oci to two quarts over a 4k oci.

If I had to guess, I'd say the viscosity was a contributing factor.

I've had the same experience with my LS1 GTO. I'm still running the M1, but it takes 1 qt of 15w50 to kill the consumption. I think I need to find a new brand next time because I'd prefer to stick with a 30w because I have plenty of oil pressure on M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back