Castrol Syntec Not AN True Synthetic?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iam somewhat new here,Ive been reading that castrol syntec is not an true synthetic?That its rated in Group 111'peroleum so highly processed that it can legally be marketed as FULL SYNTHETIC'.So it does not have an base of ester or polyol,so these two cases of 5w-40 is
confused.gif
just highly processed dino oil,I just got of e-bay?

The price of Group III Syntec at PepBoys - $6.29!! The Amsoil XL line looks better all the time.

Welcome!!!
GC is a group IV/group V blend. True synthetic. The other are rumored a blend of group III/group IV/group V. This oil performs well. As a newbie, I invite you to check out the UOA (used oil analysis) section. You will not find a bad oil analysis for Syntec in the entire section. Please let emperical data be your guide and not rumors.

Agreed!

Depending on vehicle engine, some group IIIs perform better than group IVs... and vise-versa.

Let your engine decide what group of oil it likes best. Let uit decide the brand and viscosity numbers too.

I just switched my wife's Civic over to Syntec 5w30 today actually! So I'll get to see firsthand just how this oil performs. I personally think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how well it does. I've always kinda thought that GC might've been a tad too thick for this little Honda engine. I got a great deal on the Syntec as well, Canadian Tire had the 4.4L jugs for only $22.99! That's only $5.22 a liter (normal price is closer to $8 a liter!)

I pretty sure GC 0W30 is the same as Castrol Edge, or realy close. It used to be the same as Castrol Longtec?
And ST is GrpIII. And Castrol 5W40 or 5W50 might be GrpIII/IV/V.
Just what I've read here on BITOG, but it may as well be hearsay.

I just wish WM sold a cheap xW40 or xW50 other than Rotella.

One other note. According to member Mannix, the new ST Syn has some kind of advanced Calcium add pack. I'm not sure if anyone has substantiated that yet.

Quote:

I pretty sure GC 0W30 is the same as Castrol Edge, or realy close. It used to be the same as Castrol Longtec?
And ST is GrpIII. And Castrol 5W40 or 5W50 might be GrpIII/IV/V.
Just what I've read here on BITOG, but it may as well be hearsay.

naa, the 'light' Edge we have here is 5W-30 Group III. We get Edge 0W-40, which I believe uses a PAO base, and the venerable Edge 10W-60, and who knows what it's makeup is
confused.gif

Castrol products vary so much worldwide, it's pretty confusing.

Quote:

Quote:

I saw some ST 15w40 HDEO at a local Wally World. Good price too. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

not really, I should have said a synthetic xW40 or xW50.
I've used Delo and Delvac and liked those. Didn't know about the ST stuff though.

I'd read somewhere that Castrol TWS 10W60 was GrpIII/IV/V and that that was common for "race" oils.
True?
confused.gif

Quote:

It's very good oil, just overpriced, IMHO.

At it's regular price, yes, it's a lot of money for a synthetic that isn't made up of 100% Group 4 and 5, but I've noticed up here that they have much better sale prices on Syntec than on Mobil 1. I've never seen Mobil 1 on sale at Canadian Tire for anywhere near $5 a liter.

The price is the only issue I've had with Syntec. For $6.29, many other oils look more appealing. Hopefully Syntec can hold up for at least 10,000 miles or it won't be worth it. IMHO. So who really is benefiting from Castrol using a less expensive Group III baseoil? Not the consumer.

I assume Syntec is the same as Castrol Edge we get here in Australia. Mobil 1 is nearly TWICE the price of Castrol Edge! So I am thinking I may use the Castrol and change at 3k miles instead of Mobil at 6k miles.
Roger

I don't think it's the same oil as Edge and of course, you'll never find out being they are a Castrol product.

OFF TOPIC: Speaking of Pepboys - Mobil is $7.25/qt .... Syntec is $6.29/qt!! Maybe getting this GC stash wasn't such a bad idea after all.

On TOPIC: Castrol Syntec is a great oil - I ran it for 7500 miles in my car and got a GREAT UOA. Look up Castrol Syntec UOAs and Pontiac Sunfire.

If you want a cheap synthetic get SuperTec full syn at Wal-Mart
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back