Castrol Syntec Not AN True Synthetic?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I found out a local Wally World last week, which in the U.S., is available to most people.
Code:

Castrol Syntec $5.52/qt $21.67/5qt-jug (Group III)

Mobil One $5.68/qt $21.94/5qt-jug

Mobil One EP $6.22/qt $27.52/5qt-jug

Pennz Platinum $3.97/qt $18.97/5qt-jug (Group III)

Shell Rotella T-Synth $15.96/gallon =>$19.95/5qt (Group III)

Super Tech Full Synth $12.34/5qt-jug (Group III)

Now if we want to talk about sales, many people were stocking up on Mobil 1 for half price last year (~$2.50/qt.) and Pennzoil Platinum for ($2.67/qt) at Home Destruction the last few months.

At AA, M1 was $5.39, Syntec $6.18...thanks for passing on the savings by using a Group III.

i put this in my 06 navigator it works really well... its still in the break in period and with this oil wear is minimal, im planning to put this in my 02 civic aswell, my dad puts syntec in his M5 and it works well that is the german stuff thoe. i come from a Castrol Family

Hi I'm new too. Just wondering (w/o combing thru the OA section)If some have had good results with the ST synthetic.
I ask because it seems to be a Group III like Syntec but at a resonable price.

Quote:

i put this in my 06 navigator it works really well... its still in the break in period and with this oil wear is minimal, im planning to put this in my 02 civic aswell, my dad puts syntec in his M5 and it works well that is the german stuff thoe. i come from a Castrol Family

No one has said that Castrol (American) SYNTEC is a bad product --it clearly isn't. As a matter of fact, it's probably an excellent product overall. I'm sure it protects at a level comparable of any PAO or POE based synthetic in 95% of all daily-driver applications.

The issue here is whether oil companies should be allowed to get away with charging the same prices for a product, when they've clearly found a cheaper means of manufacturer, or in this case, refinement.

You can argue that they are justified in the continued pricing with arguments like: "they have a superior add pack that costs more," "spend more to acquire the raw materials because of distribution inequalities," or "it's actually a blend of GroupIII/PAO/POE." But until such evidence is provided it's not relevant; at the end of the day this a board that demands evidence of such statements, and there really is none. As there are none, well, what can one say? If you like SYNTEC because you've had good luck with it and think it's a great product, by all means, you're probably right. But, some have the right to think it is product that is excessively priced. And it's all silly really, if Castrol had undercut Mobil1 and said --"Hey! We have a new cheaper way to make synthetic oil!" they may well have taken the market, but, they didn't...
deadhorse.gif

Quote:

i put this in my 06 navigator it works really well... its still in the break in period and with this oil wear is minimal

Works well compared to what? Also, have you performed a uoa to verify that the wear with syntec is minimal? I just get the feeling that these are perceptions, and not facts.

Pardon my forum etiquette as I am a newbie. I realize I'm off topic
offtopic.gif
. So I justed start a new post on that question about the ST sythetic.
blush.gif

yah i did uoa's thats how i found out the wear was minimal lol i can post the results i used mobil 1 its probably better than syntec but all oils are good and syntec does the job good and the wear cant get any lower than it is so whats the point of paying extra for amcrap?? i do my oil changes every 3k any ways its something i enjoy

Castrol Syntec is a Full Synthetic motor oil.It is not according Mobil/Redline/Royal Purple.You can also think of it this way.If Castrol Syntec is not a true synthetic than Valvoline Synpower/Amsoil XLM-7500/Shell Rotella-T(5W-40)and penzoil Platinum are not either.According to Mobil-If it's not a Group4 than it's not a true synthetic.Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back