Castrol Syntec-Can it go 7,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for providing the uoa GMZ. Lately Syntec (and castrol oils in general) has provided some very impressive uoa's, so i wouldn't dismiss it as a mediocre synthetic as many do.

I think the reason why people say mobil 1 is superior is because of advertising, and Mobil's reputation. Maybe Syntec use to be crummy, or average, but i'm not so sure anymore.

Here is another quote by Terry Dyson:

"The term synthetic and conventional are nearly meaningless any longer. Marketing has you believing that if the term "synthetic" is on the bottle label for a fully formulated lube and its better, not true any more.

There is a major US oil company selling excellent lubricants as "syn" when they are base grp III, the add pack is so superior and hand in glove with the base oils that this generally lower retail cost formula significantly lowers wear over oils that cost 2 and 3 times more.

Why use the higher priced GRPIV or V oils unless you have temp issues etc?"

First I've heard of 'German Castrol'..... Is this referring to synthetic? Where can this be purchased in the US??

Thanks much.

I think the reason why people say Mobil 1 is superior is because of advertising, and Mobil's reputation. Maybe Syntec use to be crummy, or average, but i'm not so sure anymore.

I think Castrol has been constantly improving their oils since going the Grp III = synthetic days. I imagine one could get 200k from any car using non GC Syntec provided they weren't in a sub zero atmosphere. Sub zero is PAO territory but they don't have a rock solid lock on this arena any more. I have freezer tested all kinds of oil (we're talking about as non professional as one can get)and Syntec 5w30 was the only one to do poorly. Oils that we have identified here as Grp III/IV blends have passed the freezer test with flying colors! Here is a short list of oils that appear to flow as well as M1 5w30: BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil (5w30), Castrol Syntec 5w40 AC, Castrol Syntec 5w50(!) and Castrol Syntec 5w20.
Let me close with a simple statement: forget the Grp III, IV,V argument and let's just say that all motor oils are getting pretty darn good - just pick the one you feel your engine likes and go with it. Pick an OCI you're comfortable with and let 'er rip!
Sometimes I wonder about the poor sap that just has Jiffy Lube change his oil without any consideration of the matter and manages to get 200k out of an engine without the first AutoRx flush, using Fram filters. We're oil heads alright, and we pour over UOA's as a sport and I imagine all of us have cars that wouldn't dream of an oil related failure, but there are people that, outside of regular oil changes, don't give lubrication a second thought! Cheers! DV

I use to think that m1 was the best too- and that the rumors of noise on it were just that; rumors. Till i tryed it on a 99 camry, and a 97 jetta. I switched to valv. syn on the jetta- cars smoother now. i'm sure the camry will be smoother when i switch out also.

I just got to thinking about something: we read all the time about a fellow bitoger contacting an oil company inquiring about the formulation of their oil - "is it a GrpIII/IV blend or a full PAO", or "what is your GrpV all about?" and the answer back from the oil company is, without fail, something a Philadelphia lawyer would be proud of. Naturally, the oil company states that they can't reveal proprietary information, to get some distance from the question. Here's my take on it: What proprietary information??? We just want to know if an oil is 100% PAO or if it is a blend of some sort - we don't need the receipe sheet to the thing, we would just like a general idea of what their oils are and would appreciate a straight answer. Can't get it. Wouldn't it be something if all along we've been getting GrpIII, IV, V blends every which a way all the way from the beginning? Wouldn't suprise me a bit! Maybe, when a politicians' star starts to dim out into darkness, they get a job answering the phone at some oil companys tech desk!!!

First off I am an Amsoil guy and I used castrol GC for a 10,000 mile oci and I got one if my best results from blackstone with that oil just to help shed light on the table.

avette- typical zero-content response I expected. Please link to these threads in which Terry Dyson talks about M1. Does he compare M1 to GC? If not, your point is totally meaningless. Just because he hasn't said anything similar about GC doesn't mean it compares favorably to M1. You're REALLY jumping to conclusions on that- without Terry making a direct comparison between the two, using his statements as evidence that GC is superior to M1 in no way makes that point. So, other than not having time to post any evidence (but apparently more than enough time to make blanket statements), do you have anything else to offer to prove your point about GC vs. M1?

If you need a link where Terry talks about Mobil1 and its wear control problems, I'll find it for you.
Does he compare it to GC directly - no.
My statement was in response to a poster claiming that Mobil1 is superior to GC.
Since I'm not aware of a single thread where Terry has ever mentioned seeing any problems with GC but plenty with Mobil1, it made me believe that GC is a superior oil.
If you have any evidence to prove me otherwise, please do.
I have an open mind.

Terry Dyson: "I do see increased wear generation in valve train using M1".

Terry Dyson: "German Castrol 0w30 - LubeControl- garnered the lowest numbers this analyst ever studied."
As applied to the VQ series of Nissan engines.(my comment)

Terry Dyson: "The Basic M1 sure leaves a lot to be desired in wear control in the valve train."

Terry Dyson: "In "general" you will see less fe wear from GC over M1 0w40 from UOA we see."

[ September 10, 2006, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: avette ]

Terry Dyson: ""Specifically, what is it about Mobil 1 that doesn't "impress" you? "
Molakule's answer is perfect:
" What could be better about Mobil 1?
Here is my shopping list.
The use of more esters, a longer lasting DD package, a better and more long-term AW/EP additive package, a lower volatility mix of varying POA viscosities."
DD = dispersant detergent package.
I'm with Mola on that.""

avette- thanks for the links and sorry for the abrasive post- was just getting frustrated with the opinions w/o data. I have an open mind about this, as well, and this gives me something to think about. I will start scouring some UOAs.

So this valve wear is only with M1 0W-40? Ive been thinking of betraying Syntec and going with M1(5W-30) since the 1GR-FE seems to love it.

Hey Guys I'm glad I came across this forum I was thinking about changeing my oil from conventional to synthetic(Mobil1) and using an extended oil filter and then changing my oil from that point on every 15K miles. The reason being to save $$$ and I've seen the advertising from Mobil that they guarentee thier oil for 15K. Have any other synthetic oil users in this forum done this? or would you advise against it and why? also has anyone here ever tried this oil?

http://www.royalpurple.com/techi/whyrpi.html

quote:

Originally posted by avette:
Terry Dyson: ""Specifically, what is it about Mobil 1 that doesn't "impress" you? "
Molakule's answer is perfect:
" What could be better about Mobil 1?
Here is my shopping list.
The use of more esters, a longer lasting DD package, a better and more long-term AW/EP additive package, a lower volatility mix of varying POA viscosities."
DD = dispersant detergent package.
I'm with Mola on that.""

Would the newer Mobil 1 EP oils have addressed these short-comings mentioned concerning regular Mobil-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back