Castrol Syntec Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the specs for CSB 10w-40, and if I'm reading the data sheets correctly it looks thicker than either the GTX or Syntec 10W-40's. I'm not sure how this could be since it's supposed to be a blend of these two oils, right?

Can someone please help me understand this?

It looks like the blend, at least in this particular weight, has about the same specs as the High Mileage oil.

When you buy a synthetic blend, how do you know how much is synthetic and how much is conventional oil? If this oil is Syntec, is it really a GIII conventional oil blended with a GI or GII.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
When you buy a synthetic blend, how do you know how much is synthetic and how much is conventional oil?

That's the thing...you don't know. I wouldn't expect any more than 15% to be synthetic, based on posts I've read here on BITOG.

I think it is alittle more involved than just pouring in a little syntec and mixing it with alittle gtx if thts whats you are gettin at. Correct me if i'm wrong?

quote:

...I'm not sure how this could be since it's supposed to be a blend of these two oils, right?

A finished motor oil is blended from one or more base oil viscosities. The add pack increases the final viscosity by a couple of points & then VI improvers are used to meet the final 100C viscosity target.

The Syntec Blend product line is blended from Grp II/II+ base oils with anywhere from 20-50% synthetic Grp III or higher base oils.

I believe the practice of mixing 2 finished motor oil formulatiuons together is called "dumbbell" blending and is not a common practice for the major brands of motor oil.

Unfortunately for aware consumers, there's no Federal mandate on synthetic content in a synthetic blend oil. The blenders aren't very forthcoming for the most part, either, for "competitive reasons". (Translation: we're like mushrooms to them - they keep us in the dark and feed us crap.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back