Castrol Syntec Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too many people think very highly of Castrol Syntec (except for the 0W-30 grade imported from Germany), so they would be even less likely to recommend Castrol Syntec synthetic blend (at least in terms of price/performance).

You would do much better with Walmart SuperTech full synthetic, or make your own synthetic blend with 1-2 quarts of a high quality synthetic and the rest conventional oil. It will probably be at least as cheap as using all synthetic blend, and a much higher percentage of synthetic.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
what is the reason they don't think highly? is it the PRICE? or is it the performance of the oil?

In my mind it is the combination of the two. There are just equal or better lubricants for a lower price. IMO. Since I don't go extended OCI I am all about the price anyway.

I'm one who does think highly of Syntec and SB. They both run very quietly. I've never done a UOA on either, but if the old GTX drive hard did well in my trail Jeep, I imagine that the SB 10W40 was stellar.

In my experience Syntec runs quieter than Mobil 1. Then again, so does Q-TP, Q-HP, PP, etc... Does that mean more wear? I doubt it. It does add piece of mind though.

I liked it. The UOA came back excellent and when it was $10 a 5 qt jug, excellent oil.

At whatever it is now (last time I looked closer to $20) not worth the $$.

Same with GTX. When Pennzoil is $12 and Havoline DS is $11 GTX @ $14.50 is way too much.

GTX is excellent oil but so are the others. There is not a bad SM oil out there IMO.

Bill

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
what is the reason they don't think highly? is it the PRICE? or is it the performance of the oil?

The price is definitely a factor. But Syntec is the original Group III synthetic, the first company to claim that hydro cracked mineral oil can be called full synthetic. Castrol advertising has always been a bit controversial, even today. Edge appears to be a very good, although very expensive, oil.

Bottom line is that it always cheaper to make your own synthetic blend. Just use 1 or 2 quarts of a full synthetic and you will be way ahead of the synthetic blend oils that have very little synthetic oil (Group III or IV) in them.

And like I said, if cost is a factor (it usually is) then the cheapest full synthetic is still way better than a synthetic blend. Walmart SuperTech is a very good synthetic to use for your entire fill, or to make your own synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
If you find it on Clearance at Walmart, use it.

My thoughts exactly.

Unless Walmart is clearing it off the shelves, it will not be on clearance (duh). Not likely from what I can tell.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
If you find it on Clearance at Walmart, use it.

I bought GTX 5w-30 from Wally's when it was $9.00 a 5 quart jug. It was a while ago but when I saw that I bought around 7 jugs. It was going for the price it was really worth!
LOL.gif

Some of the best UOA's I've seen on here have been with Castrol Syntec Blend. Who knows how much 'Syntec' is in it but it performs great. If you can get a decent deal, I'd use it for 6-7k runs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back