Castrol Syntec 5W30 • 5,565 mi • '03 Nissan Xterra

Status
Not open for further replies.
This a followup UOA from a previous one that indicating high potassium and sodium - possible head gasket leak. I was hoping it was a freak reading but it appears potassium is still present and sodium is as high as last time. I'm not sure what to make of it...potassium is trending down but sodium hasn't budged. I'm going to take Blackstone's advice and send in a virgin oil analysis of Castrol for kicks to see what kind of K/Na numbers it shows. I've monitored coolant and haven't seen any drop in the level, and no odd smells or smoke from the exhaust....just drives like it always does.

This OCI was predominantly commuter traffic with one road trip to the coast for vacation, all done in upper 90's to triple digit deep south weather. I'm pleased with the wear metals but it appears the viscosity got hammered pretty well, which is not surprising given the tiny 3.5qt sump. I think I'll stick with 5K mile changes as a good round number.

Being an '03 this engine is actually the VG33E. I make a note of this every time to Blackstone and they always show VQ35DE
confused.gif

03%20XTERRA%207-9-15_zpsrn8oxhko.jpg

Here is a link to my previous post with the original high K/Na numbers.
previous UOA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3720045/Valvoline_5W-30,_7930_mi,_2003#Post3720045

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back