Castrol Syntec 10W30, 7520 miles, 2003 Honda S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Honda S2000
133,000 miles
Castrol Edge with Titanium 10W30

- I had 3 track days and 1 auto-x on this oil change.
- Honda OEM Filter

NAH8V.png

Castrol products take an absolute flogging here at bitog, yet the UOAs dont really show a pitiful oil. Pricing has more to do with the love loss than anything else.
Nice report!

Same oil as last sample? No makeup oil (seems like a nice improvement over the 3 qts added last time)?

I wonder what they're basing their recommendation for extending to 9k miles on. The wear metals dropped commensurate with the drop in OCI from your last sample, no fuel dilution (and flash point looks good,) but we don't know whether the oil is 1k from degrading or 3k.

All we know is that your last sample showed higher wear, slightly lowering flash point and a bit of shearing, all after 3 additional qts of makeup oil, compared to none this time (if that's accurate. I wouldn't go much further if it were me, not without more data on the oil, such as TBN, nitration, TAN, etc.

Originally Posted By: stwok
Sorry the makeup oil was 5.3 quarts! These AP1's burn tons of oil.

Are you saying you added a quart basically every 1200 miles with this oil in the S2000?

In that case, might as well just change the filter every so often. That's a whole oil change every OCI :p

Either that, or it's due for a ring job.

Last edited:
9,000 rpm on a regular basis = oil burning. I'd say that its normal but a quart every 1k or so does seem a bit excessive.

Originally Posted By: Artem
9,000 rpm on a regular basis = oil burning. I'd say that its normal but a quart every 1k or so does seem a bit excessive.

Sorry, but that's not true. I've owned two high-strung Honda VTEC motors and they both saw redline on a daily basis. Each consumed <1 qt per 5k.

Thanks for posting this UOA. Were both samples 10W-30 Syntec with Ti? Or was one 5W-30? I have used the 5W-30 for a couple of fills and like it. I'm currently using the 10W-30 in my AP2.

Your consumption rate is high but predictable for the F20C1. The redesigned head in the F22C1 helped to better stabilize the pistons, eliminating the consumption issues.

Your bearing wear looks great. I like that.

Sounds like you are enjoying your S2000!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back