Castrol Syntec 0W30 Red Label GC vs. Red Label USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is in regards to the Castrol Syntec 0W30 Red Label made in the USA and the Syntec Red Label (GC 0W30) made in Germany.

Does anyone know if the two meet the exact same specs? I know the GC meets ACEA: A3/B3 B4 and BMW LL-01. Does the US made meet any more or less?

I believe I say A1 on there along with general specs, but not A3 nor the other specific specs (eg. VW)...but, someone else should chime in here.

This is Castrol's official stance on it:

Thank you for contacting Castrol.

You can rest assured that Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 available in North America, is the exact same product as Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 manufactured
in Germany. The North American Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 offers the same performance as the German SYNTEC 0W-30, and the performance attributes are clearly demonstrated in the performance ratings and OEM approvals
indicated for each of our individual product offerings.

Castrol produces and utilize formulas from various sources, including North America and Europe depending on the product, performance and
component sourcing. Products may vary in raw materials as a result of the regional production facility. However, the end performance met
whether API or ACEA, is still the same. Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. The performance
specifications on the bottle may read differently as American Standard testing varies from European testing.

Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down the most efficient way to supply the product
to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics.

The decision for 0W-30 to be sourced from Germany is based upon the most efficient supply logistics.

Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and
turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended.
Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3; BMW LL-01 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3
for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

Please follow the guidelines of the manufacturer for the recommended GRADE and API specific to your application. This information can be
found in the vehicles owner's manual or by visiting the GRADE CALCULATOR at: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/LubesSelector.do?categoryId=82915691

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, The Technology Leader!

Castrol Consumer Relations
END QUOTE

I have never seen USA made Syntec 0W-30, all GC here.
dunno.gif
I begin to doubt it existance except for the old yellow cap stuff.

I have 4 Autozones in my area. 2 have only GC red label "Made in German", 1 has the red label but say "Made in USA of domestic and imported components". The last one carries the yellow label bottles only.

quote:

Originally posted by Grossomotto:
Anyone have a Red Label Made in USA bottle where they can read the specs it meets off the back of the bottle?

No, but great question. Anyone???............

The specs on the back of the bottles are different between the USA & German Castrol. I looked at both yesterday and perchased 113qts of GC and passed on approx. 50-100qts of USA Castrol for $1/qt. @ AZ.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
old stock

Your right, I ran into many new bottles of USA Castrol yesterday but never looked at the back. I only compared 1 bottle and it was old stock. Is the new USA Castrol the same as GC?

[ February 14, 2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: crheinish ]

OK I just purchased 22 more qts of Castrol for $1qt @ AZ. 12 are GC and 10 are USA. Of the USA I bought red and yellow label. Here are the pics:

GC
 -

USA Red
 -

USA Yellow
 -

quote:

Does anyone know why the GC is the only one of the three that is not energy conserving?

I'm sure it has to do with the added specs and the reformulation to meet them. It sure looks like the German made and USA made 0W30 are not the same.

There are many members besides me that can give you a more educated answer on the energy conserving.

The red labeled US Castrol Syntec in the picture was on the shelves prior to the release of GC. This was all that I could find for about six months in my local AZ before they finally started to stock GC.

Once again, the red label in the picture is old stock.

Originally posted by crheinish:
[QB] OK I just purchased 22 more qts of Castrol for $1qt @ AZ. 12 are GC and 10 are USA. Of the USA I bought red and yellow label. Here are the pics:

Are you saying that thay have GC at AZ for $1 per quart?!!

quote:

Originally posted by 74 Laguna:
Does anyone know why the GC is the only one of the three that is not energy conserving?

It's because it is a totally different formulation and around 12 cst @ 100C and ACEA A3,B3 rated. This makes it difficult to get the Starburst. The other stuff is a lot thinner @100C, around 10 cst as I recall.

The USA red label pictured isn't even close to being GC. The specs. tell the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back