Castrol Syntec 0w-40 from Belgium vs GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I noticed a 0w-40 castrol syntec edge in a 5L jug at a canadian store shelf. On the back it said that it is made in Belgium and imported by USA. The data from document below suggests that it's thicker than GC 0w-30 in operating temps and it has a lower pour point than even the GC. The price is also much cheaper than the GC 0w-30. I'm wondering whether I should switch to this oil for winter time? Should I be concerned over the fuel economy and power penalty due to higher viscosity?

product data:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...XE-8K8KHJ_0.pdf

Last edited:
Up in the Great White North, I would use a 0w20 oil. That would be something like TGMO or equivalent. Good flow on start ups.

Castrol in the UK sell a semi synthetic 10W/40 in their Magnatec brand. They have recently added a 5W/40 to that range and as you say the low temperature viscosity is lower than the 5W/30.

So that must be a similar modern brew similar to the UK brew.

eddie

Originally Posted By: pickler
Today I noticed a 0w-40 castrol syntec edge in a 5L jug at a canadian store shelf. On the back it said that it is made in Belgium and imported by USA. The data from document below suggests that it's thicker than GC 0w-30 in operating temps and it has a lower pour point than even the GC. The price is also much cheaper than the GC 0w-30. I'm wondering whether I should switch to this oil for winter time? Should I be concerned over the fuel economy and power penalty due to higher viscosity?

product data:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...XE-8K8KHJ_0.pdf

Unless you plan to use it a car whose engine calls for 5W-20, or 0W-20 it should make for a good substitute for the German 0W-30. I still have a stash of the original green formula so it will be some time before I need to find a replacement.

Of course pour point is of zero importance so yes I would prefer the somewhat lighter GC 0W-30 BC 0W-40.
But the Cdn made M1 SM 0W-40 is lighter than both on start-up and I prefer that to GC.

For the Impreza GT, I would go with BC, GC, or M1 0W-40 over T6.

But the big news here is that you have a rare Impreza GT (not to be confused with the UK pre-WRX Impreza GT)! IMO, this would have been a bigger hit with the 2009 WRX's 265 hp and the Legacy GT's 5 speed auto.

Why would someone that has been boycotting BP since 1953 run BC or GC anyway?
confused.gif
laugh.gif

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back