Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (GC Gold) 2003 WRX 5022 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the latest on my WRX. This was another "short" 5K interval and a basic analysis just to confirm how well the GC Gold was doing in my engine. The next interval will be extended to 7.5K. I'll probably stay with the LC for the next two intervals, then drop it for two intervals to see if it is having any effect that can be seen in a UOA.

Lead spiked to 4 PPM from the normal 1 PPM seen on this engine. The previous UOA for the first run of GC was 0 for lead. I also had a 4 PPM spike at 3.75K that droped back to normal in the next OCI. Probably a particle.

The significant thing that I am seeing with GC is lower insoluble levels. The thicker base and specific chemistry is probably sealing the rings better. This is backed up by the fact that I have not seen any decrease in mileage with the GC vs the thinner base stock of the RP Racing 21.

I am also pleased with the viscosity stability. It held very well with the use of LC and a bit of fuel dilution.

Check out the Fe level. Take that Mobil 1!

The oil was in use from 6/9/06 to 11/2/06. LC used at 2 ounces/qt. initial with 2 ounces added every 1000 miles. FP used every tank at 1 ounce/5gal.

Post Date 12-OCT-06
Lab Blackstone
Make Subaru
Model WRX
Year 2003
Engine 2.0L Turbo I4
Miles On Veh. 75022
Oil Brand Castrol
Oil Series Syntec (GC Gold)
Oil SAE J300 0W-30
API SX SL
Miles on Oil 5022
***Elements***
Aluminum Al 2
Chromium Cr 0
Iron Fe 2
Copper Cu 3
Lead Pb 4
Tin Sn 1
Molybdenum Mo 2
Nickel 0
Manganese Mn 0
Silver Ag 0
Titanium Ti 0
Potassium K 1
Boron B 0
Silicon Si 3 (Gotta love those Subaru OEM air filters).
Sodium Na 4
Calcium Ca 1608
Magnesium Mg 468
Phosphorus P 768
Zinc Zn 971
cST @ 100 C 11.31
SUS @ 210 F 63.5
Flashpoint 385
Fuel % TR
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN N/A
Additives LC FP
***Filters used***
Air Filter Subaru OEM
Oil Filter PureOne PL14460
Location Reno, NV USA

Ed

This looks very good. Go for the Gold. Four ppm of lead is not abnormal. Your previous results were abnormally low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back