Castrol Synblend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running Castol Synblend? My Wife and I just purchased a RAV4 V6 which comes with 5 free oil changes. The dealer has used Synblend for years and will use this oil. I'm debating whether or not to just do it myself with PP. Thoughts?

Since warranty requires oil & filter changes every 5K or 6 months (V-6) let them do it. I see no advantage in switching to PP with such a short change interval not to mention the expense vs free. The oil filter is a bit of a pain on the 3.5l so I let them deal with ours (we have two V-6 RAVs) twice a year.

IMO...it's very good oil. I've only used the SM on some vehicles and no complaints. They are clearing out a lot of Synthetic Blends so if you find a deal...go for it.

Off topic:

I've seen the Castrol SynBlend on clearance at AAP for $3.95 a quart but only in the 20w-50 weight. I guess some people could use this weight......but it would need to be blended and mixed with lighter weights if I were to use this weight.

Who uses 20w-50 in a current application?

Since warranty requires oil & filter changes every 5K or 6 months (V-6) let them do it. I see no advantage in switching to PP with such a short change interval not to mention the expense vs free. The oil filter is a bit of a pain on the 3.5l so I let them deal with ours (we have two V-6 RAVs) twice a year.

That all the Acura dealer use!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO...it's very good oil. I've only used the SM on some vehicles and no complaints. They are clearing out a lot of Synthetic Blends so if you find a deal...go for it.

Off topic:

I've seen the Castrol SynBlend on clearance at AAP for $3.95 a quart but only in the 20w-50 weight. I guess some people could use this weight......but it would need to be blended and mixed with lighter weights if I were to use this weight.

Who uses 20w-50 in a current application?
Harley Davidson

Well, I guess you could add the Castrol SynBlend 20w-50 to a OCI with Castrol GTX Bottle 5w-20 with good results.

If you take over 5 quarts of Castrol GTX for your OCI...you could....use the SynBlend as make up oil to fill your sump.

The price of this Castrol SynBlend 20w-50, that I spied at Advance Auto on Clearance, was $2.95 a quart. A lot less $$$$ than the everyday price at other retail stores.

I wish my dealer used Pennzoil Yellow Bottle but there must be a real good Castrol Rep around here since most of the dealers use it.

I'll change the oil myself a little after 1,000 miles and then let them take over for the free period.

Only one store (CT) sells Syntec blend up here, and it is EXPENSIVE - $7.50/L last time I checked. You can get full-syns for that price most days on sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back