Castrol SLX professional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone I know is selling this oil,says 4718-sae-5w30.
whats the 4718 stand for? I can get it for 5 bucks a bottle.(six in a case)I havent seen this in walmart or canadian tire so im thinkin its a expensive oil found in specialty automotive stores. Is it made in germany? like german castrol?
im driving a 1996 toyota tercel with 145000km on odometer, burns no oil, currently using 5w30 maxlife..like it too. but just for the sake of trying something different.car only gets used couple hundred km on weekends, mainly highway,not really hard, so for 30 bucks over 2years cant go wrong thats 15 bucks and a wicks filter, i'll run it a whole year.car only takes 3 litres anyway.
Will there be any adverse reaction since ive used maxlife in the past? Is this oil ok with my japaneese motor?
Any input wold be greatly appreciated... thanxs.

If it's the GM 4718M version, that's just plain synth oil like any other 4718M oil, afaik. There are SLX OE oils for various makes. Are they all the same oil or are they specific, I dunno...could be either.

SLXpro.jpg

Originally Posted By: menezes
whats the 4718 stand for? I can get it for 5 bucks a bottle.(six in a case)I havent seen this in walmart or canadian tire so im thinkin its a expensive oil found in specialty automotive stores.

It is only available at a GM dealership in Canada. I have a case of 6 in my basement and I am willing to sell it also...let me know if your deal doesn't work out.

I did a VOA a couple of summers back...see here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1539084

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
If it's the GM 4718M version, that's just plain synth oil like any other 4718M oil, afaik. There are SLX OE oils for various makes. Are they all the same oil or are they specific, I dunno...could be either.

SLXpro.jpg

Looks like syntec.

I'm starting to think the SLX OE oils are a work-around of the royalties for spec certification.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but royalties are often per gallon or litre. Wouldn't it bring down to the cost to bottle an oil with a single specific cert, rather than pay out for a dozen specs?

Originally Posted By: menezes
whats the 4718 stand for? I can get it for 5 bucks a bottle.(six in a case)I havent seen this in walmart or canadian tire so im thinkin its a expensive oil found in specialty automotive stores. Is it made in germany? like german castrol?
im driving a 1996 toyota tercel with 145000km on odometer, burns no oil, currently using 5w30 maxlife..like it too. but just for the sake of trying something different.car only gets used couple hundred km on weekends, mainly highway,not really hard, so for 30 bucks over 2years cant go wrong thats 15 bucks and a wicks filter, i'll run it a whole year.car only takes 3 litres anyway.
Will there be any adverse reaction since ive used maxlife in the past? Is this oil ok with my japaneese motor?
Any input wold be greatly appreciated... thanxs.

BMW dealerships may also sell it. In the U.S. BMW uses this oil for their diesel.

This is the Canadian stuff they marketed to Corvette owners to meet the GM4718 spec. Not too long after, Castrol Edge 5W-30 jimmy the dipstick commercials started showing up in the US.

Same stuff. Good stuff.

Theres alot of smart ppl on this site, now i cant tell you that the slx is the same as edge, but patman says it probably is, im gonna assume hes right, what i will tell you is that i would put edge up against anything that ive ever used, and ive about ran everything minus amsoil! Never in my life have i used such a quieting oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back