Castrol SLX LL04 - 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is where the confusion begins for me. You talk to the real 0W30 junkies and ask them why they know GC is a PAO and most will tell you it's becouse it couldn't pass the long-life specs it does if it were group3.

No, they'd tell you we all chipped in and paid for some very expensive gas chromatograph tests of GC which revealed it's PAO and some exotic esters.

Are the test results listed on the European oil section? Obviously, I have missed it if it is.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=0#Post700327

Those of you that know me know I have a high opinion of Group IV oils. That being said, and with the debate over whether some of the European synthetics can be Group III or if Group IV will always be the best, it must depend on additives. Example: Smokey Yunick's first experience with a synthetic motor oil, probably back in the early 80s or late 70s was a negative one. It was manufactured by a little company no longer around and they apparently forgot to put in a friction modifier. It ruined his camshaft and he wrote a very negative article on "synthetics." Later Smokey Yunick became a great believer in synthetics as many of you may know. But this experience proves that the base stock is nothing without the proper additives.

Frankly, I'm amazed at what the European auto and truck manufacturers ask for ...and get in the form of oil specifications. It's truly a marvel of chemistry.
wink.gif

Smokey apparently was a great beliver in "All Proof" in the 1970's, before long-term use indicated the oil caused a problem with seals and moisture retention. All Proof was a 10W-50 Polyol Ester oil, before they knew how to formulate them to balance the good and bad characteristics.....

All-Proof is the direct predecessor to Red Line oils, which still use Polyol Ester.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back