Castrol SLX gives horrible fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40: 9.2~9.9 km/L

BP Visco 7000 0w40: 7.8~8.9 km/L

Castrol SLX 0w30: 8.3 km/L

Power is a big improvement but fuel economy is down.
mad.gif

Ken4 I was looking at a partialy dimantled 2AZ-FE at work today! I do not think that we will have too many problems with the top end. The valve train is top notch!! The only thing on the top end that looked a bit weak was the chain! The engine still had the factroy installed oil filter on it. Their is a sticker on the valve cover under the plastic engine dressing cover on the end that said "Use only Iridium Plugs" the sticker was red and white.

The cylinder head has "YAMAHA" cast in 2" high letters on the back side of the head faceing the firewall.

Not in my Chrysler. I've gotten the best mileage ever using Castrol SLX 0w30 (aka Syntec 0w30 in the US).

John, my made in japan 2AZ-FE comes with OEM NGK copper v-groove BKR6EYA11. Which model iridium plugs does yours use? Is there any use of plastics in the chain?

G-man, there are 2 formulations of SLX available here, the one Im using is the ACEA A3 formulation, the other is the ACEA A1 formulation, maybe I will try the latter on my next oil change.

[ December 15, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Ken4 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
G-man, there are 2 formulations of SLX available here, the one Im using is the ACEA A3 formulation, the other is the ACEA A1 formulation, maybe I will try the latter on my next oil change.

The SLX that is sold in the US as Syntec 0w30 is the A3 rated version.

No I saw no use of plastic in the chain. I could see no plastic in the valve train area at all. Granted I was not tearing in to it and have limited access to it. Everything appeared to be CNC machined from either castings,billets or fordgeings. All friction surfaces were polished to a mirror finish 0000. I do not know what ones were in this one. Mine is maid in Japan as well.

Denso SK20R11
NGK IFR6A11

I do not know if these are iridium or not. These are what my owners manual lists. My maintence book calls for only Iridiums and their is a stick under my hood that also cals for Iridium.

I do multiple short trips (less than 2km), possibly that's why I dont benefit from using this oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
I do multiple short trips (less than 2km), possibly that's why I dont benefit from using this oil.

You should have mentioned this at the beginning! Your fuel economy results with these oils are going to be vastly different compared to someone else trying them out, but who does longer trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back