Castrol RX 15w-40 HDEO, what's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this stuff as good as other HDEOs? Anyone use it? This summer, I am putting a few cars on 15w-40 and am considering the RX. My mechanic uses *it in every Euro car that does not require synth. It seems like a good choice for customers when you don't know when they will be back for a change and it meets specs too.

*I don't know if he uses actual RX, but it is a 15w-40 Castrol HDEO in-a-drum and he said some thing about it being formula 3 something something.
dunno.gif

The Castrol RX Super at Costco is now CI-4/SL certified. I believe that the Canadian product is blended and packaged by the lowest bid from either Shell, PC, Chevron, or Esso/Exxon/Mobil.
I'm under the impression that one CI-4/SL API certified engine oil is likely as good as the next.
edit: I think the formula 3, or series 3 is a handle once given to HDMO high DD diesel oils.

[ December 10, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

Hi,
I have had extensive exposure to Castrol's RX Super 15w-40 over many years. From CF thru CG to CH formulation. It WAS an excellent product with a first class reputation within the Trucking Industry in Australia

Using UOA we ran this oil out to about 50% greater than the Maker's recommended OCI

I also have used it in a variety of petrol enhgines over many years

I don't know about the latest CI version however which is product of the BP-Castrol love match but RX Super still remains popular in trucking circles

"CAT? Series 3" was indeed a baseline rating in diesel oils many years ago

Regards

[ December 10, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Don't forget Delvac 1300 Super or Lubrication Engineers for that matter. Theres a great choice of top quality oils in this 15W40 arena, competition at work for sure!

quote:

series 3 is a handle once given to HDMO high DD diesel oils

Cool, thanks for the tip, someone here always knows stuff like that.

It seemed worth looking into, but dello and Pennzoil LL are hard to beat, I can't decide!
dunno.gif

I have seen RX Super in quart bottles at PepBoys but never tried it. I dont think it is a big seller in the US. Delo, Delvac and Rotella probably share 80-90 percent of the US 15W-40 market.

My BMW mechanic uses Kendall 15W-40 bulk oil. Most repair shops do not have the brand loyalty that we do. They buy based on which local distributor they like and then buy whatever brand that distributor carries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back