Castrol RS is just another Group III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's golden brown colour and smells exactly like Shell Helix Ultra. Regular oil smell. It's nothing close to the look & smell of the BP Visco 7000 I recently tried.

-

-

I'd be interested in knowing too...where do you get the hunch that it's a group III? From the smell only??

How could it be labelled fully synthetic if it's a group 3? I thought that only in North America they can call group 3 oils as fully synthetic, but over there they must label group 3 oils as semi synthetic.

Our Shell Helix Ultra is also labelled as 'Fully Synthetic'. Guess we have the same problem as you.

-

-

Keep something in mind: While Helix Ultra does have Shell's XHVI (Group III) as part of the base oil blend, it's just A PART of the blend. There is a substantial amount of PAO (Group IV) and esters (Group V) in there as well. And for the newest Helix Ultra (0w40), there is probably even more Group V than before. Same with the 10w60.

Castrol RS may be of similar make up: some Group III with a lot of Group IV and V as well. I'm pretty sure it's only in the North American market where Castrol has labeled a predominately Group III based oil as "full synthetic."

That cute little bottle costs S$11.90 (US$6.84) here!!! And yes it's for top-ups. Or if your sump has a 6.5L capacity, you might want to buy one 4L pack + five 0.5L packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back