Castrol RS is just another Group III?

It's golden brown colour and smells exactly like Shell Helix Ultra. Regular oil smell. It's nothing close to the look & smell of the BP Visco 7000 I recently tried.  -  -

I'd be interested in knowing too...where do you get the hunch that it's a group III? From the smell only??

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. T: I'd be interested in knowing too...where do you get the hunch that it's a group III? From the smell only??
[Smile] [Smile]

Patman

Staff member
How could it be labelled fully synthetic if it's a group 3? I thought that only in North America they can call group 3 oils as fully synthetic, but over there they must label group 3 oils as semi synthetic.

Keep something in mind: While Helix Ultra does have Shell's XHVI (Group III) as part of the base oil blend, it's just A PART of the blend. There is a substantial amount of PAO (Group IV) and esters (Group V) in there as well. And for the newest Helix Ultra (0w40), there is probably even more Group V than before. Same with the 10w60. Castrol RS may be of similar make up: some Group III with a lot of Group IV and V as well. I'm pretty sure it's only in the North American market where Castrol has labeled a predominately Group III based oil as "full synthetic."

Ken4

That cute little bottle costs S$11.90 (US$6.84) here!!! And yes it's for top-ups. Or if your sump has a 6.5L capacity, you might want to buy one 4L pack + five 0.5L packs.