Castrol R4 5W-40 - Suzuki Burgman 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
this is the UOA from my 08 Suzuki Burgman AN650K (2 cyl)

The following operating data is relevant:
Use - Local trips 30-80kms (20-50 miles)
Method - WOT quire regularly (CVT transmission)
Speeds - Regular high speed to 180kmh (110mph)

Total distance - 8100 kms ( miles)
Fuel used - 5 litres per 100km

DATA FOR THIS UOA

Lubricant - Castrol R4 Superbike synthetic 5W-40 (SG/MA)
Filter - OEM
OCI distance - 6000 kms (3726 miles)
OCI time - 18 months
Oil topup - Zero

OIL ANALYSIS

Viscosity @ 40C - 56cSt
Nitration Abs/cm - 7
Water %v - Fuel %v - 2
TBN mgKOH/g - 6.8
TAN - 0.8

ELEMENTAL - ADD. ANALYSIS

PQ Index - 21

All in ppm:
Iron - 29
Alu - 13
Chro - Cop - 50
Lead - 4
Tin - Pot - 2
Silicon - 8
Sodium - 5

The lubricant was analysed in Castrol's Lab and while noting Copper and Fuel the lubricant was judged as being suitable for continued use The oil was changed out and replaced again with the same Castrol R4 Superbike 5W-40 (SG/MA) and new OEM filter

I welcome your comments

I think your data for the Maxi looks good, especially because it's still running in. Would be nice to see the 100C viscosity as the CVT keeps the engine revving with WOT acceleration & 180km! Glad you can ride it right, probably in warm weather too.

According to the Amsoil White Paper on motorcycle oils, Castrol R4 5w-40 was one of the thinnest 40 weight oils tested at about 13 cSt at 100 degrees Centigrade, but was also one of the most shear stable of the 40 weight group. From memory, I would expect this oil to be in the high 80 or 90 cSt range at 40 degrees Centigrade, so I would venture that your oil at 56.8 cSt at 40 degrees C has sheared somewhat. Be prepared for a tongue lashing from sunruh on this issue.

Too bad the the oil wasn't tested at 100 degrees as this would have been more directly comparable with the other motorcycle UOAs. Nice TBN but I think you were correct to change the oil out given the mileage on the machine.

What do you make of the copper--maybe a little close on a wrist pin bush,.......or..........?

I just reread the data and noticed that fuel was at 2% which would serve to thin the oil. Maybe the shear factor is not so much of an issue after all.

Hi,
KernelK - The R4 has a 40C viscosity of 78.7 and 13.1 at 100C

It is really quite a "thin" SAE40 lubricant!

The fuel dilution is not really a big deal IMO and the Cu is probably a factor of the engine's low kms - perhaps a tight bearing surface!!. It does not consume any lubricant at all and all other WMs are most acceptable

Castrol's Lab ("labcheck") is very credible in their comments and of course the UOA was undertaken on their own product. I have used their Lab since around 1978 and they have mostly been correct in their comments - a little more so than Mobil's Lab!

OZ Labs from these Oil Companies now only do a 40C viscosity test (100C on request). They believe it is a more accurate indicator of the lubricant's condition and after inverstigation I agree

This lubricant has been on the market since around 1990 and has been superceded by a "new" wonder version - I do wonder............

Last edited:
could the 2% fuel be from the low mileage in such a long time? it comes out to roughly 45 miles a week of riding.? i think the oil was in there for well over a year?

Hi,
arkainzeye - Yes, the lubricant was in place for 18 months. The bike is rearely used in our Tropical wet season - which is on now - and this typically lasts for from 2 to 5 months

2% is not really an issue with around 4% and over considered "abnormal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back