Castrol Magnetic vs. synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which oil do you believe is better? One that clings to the metal so protection can immediately be there, or a synthetic?

Worked fine for me. My vehicles only require API SM / ILSAC GF4 so Magnatec more then had me covered. They also meet dexos.

Originally Posted By: Avery4
Which oil do you believe is better? One that clings to the metal so protection can immediately be there, or a synthetic?

imho the magnatec blend isnt very good. I used the 10w40 blend when it was rated pre sm..lost a quart at just 3000km. compared to castrol edge or shell helix ultra..lose a 1/4 quart at 8000km.
Also that so called clinging to metal parts..its just a marketing gimmick. I beleive the castrol full syn does that too.
In my country magnatec is only available in 10w40 and semi syn.
if i wanted a full syn i would have to get castrol edge.

Originally Posted By: alcyon
[Also that so called clinging to metal parts..its just a marketing gimmick.

really ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: alcyon
[Also that so called clinging to metal parts..its just a marketing gimmick.

really ?

does magnatec cling better than edge ? Dont all oils cling to metal parts.

Last edited:
bobbydavro has stated that the edge uses the next generation up from Magnatec...same concept, next generation.

some years ago, I was at a dinner sitting next to a Castrol chemist who was working on the magnatec research in the day.

It's not just "what oils do", there's a difference that this technology possesses.

Is Castrol Edge good?

Google search: Edge, Bitog or Magnatec, Bitog. You'll be able to read multiple threads already discussed not to long ago.

Proper oil grade with OEM approval following correct oil change intervals using correct oil filters etc is best. Full syn is BITOG myth unless the OEM stipulates its exclusive use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Is Castrol Edge good?

Google search: Edge, Bitog or Magnatec, Bitog. You'll be able to read multiple threads already discussed not to long ago.

+1. Its best to search 1st before posting a new thread.
My experience with edge 0w-40 is really good. I bought it on sale ..decided to give it a go and it did not dissapoint. The cleansing,noack volatality and tbn all look good.
again IMHO..things may be different now with sn rated magnatec. I suggest you give it a go and just monitor how your engine runs, check oil level every week. If there are no leaks and you lose an unreasonable amount of oil in a short time period...you know..yada yada. Any sm or sn rated oil from a reputable manufacturer will not damage your engine.
go for it for 1 oci. If you dont like it try another oil at the next change.

Last edited:
Edge 0W40 is a very stout oil. That's what i used two changes ago in the Turbo. The previous poster is correct though, all you really need is what's required by the mfc.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Re: Castrol Magnetic

What makes it magnetic? Does it show up on a VOA?

Comm'on 4oPete you know the answers but I am interested to see what the New Kids on the BITOG Block come up with.

Last edited:
This Magnetic looks very similar to something Castrol was selling back in the early 2000's. I called up the lady in Jersey and she told me they used esters in the additives only but the base oil was fully mineral/conventional oil. Maybe they dropped that oil, after a spec upgrade.

Looking at the MSDS on the Castrol Web sight, the Magnetic contains different kinds of highly refined base oils than the Edge North American. There must be some quality difference but that's strange that they don't market the Edge as having good polar attraction to metal if it indeed has it. They used to market molecular protection in the Syntec line, but not now in the Edge black bottle.

I'd like my oil to have good polar attraction, and Group III's do that sort of thing. As to the GTX Magnetic? I'd be interested to see how it holds up in a uoa, tbn retention, iron contamination levels, volatility testing, though it does claim to meet SN standards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wildmanrandall
This Magnetic looks very similar to something Castrol was selling back in the early 2000's. I called up the lady in Je...

its magnatec..not magnetic..i think quattropete's wisecrack made that obvious.
If its not corrected watch out for more wisecracks coming..
banana2.gif
laugh.gif
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back