Castrol Magnetec 5w-30 or Supertech Advanced 5w-30

No it is for my 2005 GMC Sierra with 213000 miles.
Ope. I should have noticed it wasn't for a 2021 the 5w-30 note in the thread title.

In the elements shown on a VOA, 5w-30 Supertech has ~200ppm more calcium than 5w-30 magnatec, but for a non-DI motor, it won't make much of a difference. Everything else is very comparable between the two element-wise. Both use group III base stocks.

It wouldn't hurt to try both.

Magnatec

Every time I have run the synthetic ST, I end up with more in my catch can than normal...maybe its NOACK is a little lacking? I dunno, but if I had to choose, I would go with Magnatec.

I'm using RGT in my 2004 w/ 5.3 but it's getting hard to find and even harder to buy for a reasonable price, there's several reports of the engine being quieter when using the Magnatec. I do have some on hand just haven't used it yet but if RGT stays the same course for those two reasons the Magnatec could be what I use next.

Mine has 118k miles.

I was wondering about the same and did some searching on this topic recently. Some of the Bobistheoilguy.com staff think an oil from a major brand will likely be significantly better than the SuperTech:

Screenshot_20211116-112647.png

Back