Castrol Magnetec 5w-30 or Supertech Advanced 5w-30

Saw both of these at Wally and thought since they are basically the same price would it be better to go with the Castrol as compared to the Supertech? Have used Supertech before but thought maybe the Castro; might be a better oil with the wear additives it seems to have. Amy info is appreciated. Thanks.

Based on OP's comment history, the vehicle is likely a 2021 5.3 Silverado.

Both Supertech and Magnatec are Dexos1 Gen2 licensed, so pick whichever pulls on your heart strings.

Blackstone Labs stated that they don't see a discernable difference in wear patterns between different oils when the oils used are appropriate for the application.

The magnatec has a pretty big following claiming it's a very quiet oil, especially on startup but that may just be marketing and pygmalion effect. It is now full synthetic FWIW.

Anyone noticed that different scent of Magnatec 5w30?
Not sure if same one, but the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 DX fuel saver is a decent package.

Attachments

• 1482534965_CastrolMagnatec5W-30DX.jpg.5a966e41c56eedd19b17bc85248e1c6d.jpg
    1482534965_CastrolMagnatec5W-30DX.jpg.5a966e41c56eedd19b17bc85248e1c6d.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 49
ST is a 20k oil. I’d try it! I run magnatec 10k on a non DI engine. But im tempted by ST and will probably try it once 70qt stash runs low.

The magnatec has a pretty big following claiming it's a very quiet oil, especially on startup but that may just be marketing and pygmalion effect. It is now full synthetic FWIW.
I've always been a skeptic of the "this oil makes my engine run quieter" but in my 2017 V6 GMC Canyon Magnatec did eliminate the startup rattle that it had with Mobil 1. After the first couple of seconds though there was no difference in noise.

not sure if this helps you but , im running magnatec currently , and last week i walked away from my 2021 malibu , wondering why it was acting all goofy with the lites and horn , come to find out it was still running , i couldnt even hear it

Both are entry-level oils. One is priced more appropriately than the other.
While I agree that both are decently priced or 'entry level' oils, I really doubt that using higher priced boutique oils will make an engine last any longer unless you are stretching OCI's to those spec'd in Europe. Either of these oils will take most engines to 200K+ miles with regular (by the OM) oil changes, IMO. I'd probably choose Castrol over ST if they were priced the same.

Either is fine. Unless oil change intervals are extended beyond the factory recommended intervals premium level synthetic oil‘s and no additional value compared to Supertek Magnetek Quaker State synthetic , Havoline pro synthetic regular Mobil 1 or any of the other value synthetic oils. I would base my decision based upon price and convenience. I have run all of them with no issues the engine doesn’t care

Based on OP's comment history, the vehicle is likely a 2021 5.3 Silverado.

Both Supertech and Magnatec are Dexos1 Gen2 licensed, so pick whichever pulls on your heart strings.

Blackstone Labs stated that they don't see a discernable difference in wear patterns between different oils when the oils used are appropriate for the application.
No it is for my 2005 GMC Sierra with 213000 miles.

Back