Castrol Magnatec vs Pennzoil Platinum

I was browsing Walmart's website at their current oil selection. They have Castrol Magnetic 10W30 full synthetic. Last I remember it was a blend. This is an oil I've never tried. How would it compare to Pennzoil Platinum? Any current Magnatec users here?

I'm running 5w30 magnatec in my 1.5T civic. oil is oil, lubricates and keeps mating surface apart.
Same on pennzoil, ran it in my pilot several OCI. no issues

UOA's look good. Did a Google search and found a few. I guess I've always been a lil curious about this oil.

Magnatec is somewhat "thick" in really cold weather (no worries as you're a-okay in Texas). Think Minnesota, the Dakotas, Canada and Alaska for these terribly cold places. Other than that, it is outstanding oil wtih a really strong add-pack. Use it with confidence. I use it during the summers while here in Wisconsin, and sometimes in Alaska.

Magnatec is somewhat "thick" in really cold weather (no worries as you're a-okay in Texas). Think Minnesota, the Dakotas, Canada and Alaska for these terribly cold places. Other than that, it is outstanding oil wtih a really strong add-pack. Use it with confidence. I use it during the summers while here in Wisconsin, and sometimes in Alaska.
A bit "thick" across all grades of Magnatec, or just the 10w-30? Because if it is just about 10w-30 - then I believe Magnatec still has full synthetic 0W20 and 5W30 to help out with the freezing situations.

A bit "thick" across all grades of Magnatec, or just the 10w-30? Because if it is just about 10w-30 - then I believe Magnatec still has full synthetic 0W20 and 5W30 to help out with the freezing situations.
My experience surrounds the 5W-30 grade only. It's great oil, just not to my liking in colder temps, such as -20 degs F.

In my commonly encountered -20 deg F or colder weather, I'd opt for the threadstarter's PP option or another SOPUS product such as QSUD 5W-30.

But again, the treadstarter is in Texas. No part of Texas gets very cold. So, any reasonable grade of Magnatec is a-okay in my book. In fact, Magnatec 10W-30 would be great oil down south, and would be my choice.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Ive run Castrol Magnatec in 5W30 and 5W20 flavours, I got some right at the rollout years ago when it was labeled " semi-synthetic".

This oil does have an ability to calm and quiet various engine noises, but I too find it a bit "gooey" and ultimately power robbing.

Having tried many oil on a problematic, noisy engine - the big Nissan 4 banger -QR25DE, The early release Magnetec in semi--syn was very very good. I haven't like the later formulations as much, though - Not as Velvety; and neither are super "clean" running.

I will say 5W20 Magnatec works well as a "companion oil" with other oils in "calming" certain engines. Add just a pint; Think of it like an additive. A whole sump of the stuff may be too much of a good thing.

But Of all the tens of oil brands I've tried over the last decade on Subaru and Nissan and Toyota, Nothing has come close to the Valvoline Advanced ( NOT modern engine** )especially in the 5W30 flavour.
It runs like an "ultra premium" boutique synthetic, providing better power, lugging torque and high fuel mileage together.

So it's not PP or Maggie it's Valvoline - at least in in GF5

BTW the PP has never worked well enough in anything I've tried it in. When I tried it In the Subaru, It drank it like a Saturday night Frat party.
- Ken

**I have not tried Modern Engine

My experience surrounds the 5W-30 grade only. It's great oil, just not to my liking in colder temps, such as -20 degs F.

In my commonly encountered -20 deg F or colder weather, I'd opt for the threadstarter's PP option or another SOPUS product such as QSUD 5W-30.

But again, the treadstarter is in Texas. No part of Texas gets very cold. So, any reasonable grade of Magnatec is a-okay in my book. In fact, Magnatec 10W-30 would be great oil down south, and would be my choice.

YMMV.

-20F is right on the cusp of the Cold Cranking testing temp for the 5W designation, much lower and you really should be running a 0w-xx.

Correct! Southcentral Alaska presents those temps every year, sometimes for weeks on end. 5W oils have been and are commonly available and are what 99% out there use. For me, it didn't take long to determine which oils easily cranked in cold weather. SOPUS synthetic oils have always come through.

Only in recent years do 0W oils seem to be more readily available. Those would be Mobil 0W-30 and 0W-40 oils. I may try these this winter.

Last edited:
I’ve used the Magnatec in my dads car and haven’t had issues and yes you’re right it was a synthetic blend at one point now it’s full synthetic I have always had good luck with Castrol. The Pennzoil is good too but I like Castrol.

Correct! Southcentral Alaska presents those temps every year, sometimes for weeks on end. 5W oils have been and are commonly available and are what 99% out there use. For me, it didn't take long to determine which oils easily cranked in cold weather. SOPUS synthetic oils have always come through.

Only in recent years do 0W oils seem to be more readily available. Those would be Mobil 0W-30 and 0W-40 oils. I may try these this winter.

Indeed. One of the concerns is that if it isn't labelled 0w-xx, it didn't pass either the cranking limit test at -35C or the pumping limit test at -40C, which is why it's a 5w-xx instead, as an oil is required to be labelled with the lowest winter rating it qualifies for. While the cranking limit isn't much of an issue; a slow crank will typically still yield a start, the oil not pumping has obvious implications.

I've used the Magnatec full syn 5w-20 once in the Escape, and it was fine. Just like all the other oils I've ever used, my engine didn't blow up.

I have used CM. In all flavors for years.
The only issue I ever had was my mpg took a hit especially in my Ford CMax hybrid. It ran great and I ran it out to 10k often with no issues.
I still use it but not as much as before.
Usually on my vast ope...

If you are cross shopping Magnatec and PP then Castrol has already won. Magnatec is intended to compete in the budget segment against oils like Mobil Super / Full Synthetic. Edge would be the direct PP competitor.
+1

As for Magnatec - I've used the full syn 5W30 formula in my V6 and didn't notice any difference compared to other full syn 5W30s.

Another vote for Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic. Have tried both QSUD and Magnatec in 5w30 flavors, and the Valvoline has been the quietest running one of the group. Decent price point, too -- I'm inclined to stay with it.

Castrol 5W-30. For me, it is OVERLY thick at -20 degs F. I would NEVER use a 10W-30 during winters in Wisconsin or Alaska.

Again for me, I have found 5W-30 SOPUS oils provide the provide the cold performance I'm looking for in -20 to -30 degs F weather. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Both oils are good oils.
From the little research I have done on it, Magnatec seems to be between regular Pennzoil Platinum and Platinum Ultra.
I have used some of the older 10w-30 Magnatec blend in my brother in laws F150, did not notice any real difference between it an other oils (but have never noticed any difference between oils in any vehicles).
As mentioned, there are lots of good UOA's with it on Ford Ecoboost engines, and others say it quiets noisy engines of other makes.

I still have 16 qts of 0w-20 and 5w-20 Magnatec from the AAP clearance a few years ago that I will eventually get around to using.

Back