Castrol Magnatec (US) - updated PDS out this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if i wasn't clear since that was my point too. Not that Edge (black) is GrpIV, but that Magnatec is priced lower so it should be a Grp III as well. Either way, they both work. Here are the EDGE (black) 10w30 and 5w30 numbers...

Originally Posted By: Crashpuppy
Greetings all,

For my first post, I thought I'd let Castrol fans know that new PDS's dated this week are up on the Castrol US website, at least for GTX Magnatec 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30. Aside from the news that all three now meet both D1G2 and the new SN Plus specs, the company has actually provided NOACK numbers:
0W-20 - 11.8
5W-20 - 9.7
5W-30 - 8.9 (not bad, even for GDI and T-GDI engines)

FWIW, I have been using GTX Magnatec in my port-injected '17 Elantra SE since I dumped the factory fill at 1,800 miles. Two runs of about 3,000 miles each (new car warranty requirements, you know), first on 5W-20 D1 and now on 5W-30 D1G2, with OEM filter. It has been very quiet and smooth on both, and overall gas mileage has been right in line with EPA estimates - no small accomplishment on our chronically clogged and torn up Pittsburgh area roads, which is basically all the car ever sees.

I'm really happy with it, and for the price for a 5 quart jug at Wally World, I think it's pretty hard to beat for a not-very-demanding, old-dirt driver who wants to use a modern full synthetic without having to tap the 401(k) to do it.

There once was a time here at BITOG and not that many years ago, when it was a sin to announce that GrpIII was a full-synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Here are the EDGE (black) 10w30 and 5w30 numbers...

Is that data off of Castrol's website? When I collected data not long agp when comparing 5W30 they didn't show HTHS or NOACK for Edge. Guess they updated that info.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Crashpuppy
Greetings all,

For my first post, I thought I'd let Castrol fans know that new PDS's dated this week are up on the Castrol US website, at least for GTX Magnatec 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30. Aside from the news that all three now meet both D1G2 and the new SN Plus specs, the company has actually provided NOACK numbers:
0W-20 - 11.8
5W-20 - 9.7
5W-30 - 8.9 (not bad, even for GDI and T-GDI engines)

FWIW, I have been using GTX Magnatec in my port-injected '17 Elantra SE since I dumped the factory fill at 1,800 miles. Two runs of about 3,000 miles each (new car warranty requirements, you know), first on 5W-20 D1 and now on 5W-30 D1G2, with OEM filter. It has been very quiet and smooth on both, and overall gas mileage has been right in line with EPA estimates - no small accomplishment on our chronically clogged and torn up Pittsburgh area roads, which is basically all the car ever sees.

I'm really happy with it, and for the price for a 5 quart jug at Wally World, I think it's pretty hard to beat for a not-very-demanding, old-dirt driver who wants to use a modern full synthetic without having to tap the 401(k) to do it.

There once was a time here at BITOG and not that many years ago, when it was a sin to announce that GrpIII was a full-synthetic oil.

Thinks have progressed and semantics matter less than performance.

I like what I'm seeing in this new version! I really want to try this..

The big question is.. What retailer is selling this version (5w30, SN Plus) of Magnatec? Anyone know?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: researcher
I like what I'm seeing in this new version! I really want to try this..

The big question is.. What retailer is selling this version (5w30, SN Plus) of Magnatec? Anyone know?
confused2.gif

Wal Mart. I got a jug this morning. Then returned it as Wal Mart com has it for. $17.88. Beats $21.44 in store price. I ordered 3 jugs
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Got me a six pac Of 5w30 off of amazon it was delivered Monday.

Originally Posted By: car51

Wal Mart. I got a jug this morning. Then returned it as Wal Mart com has it for. $17.88. Beats $21.44 in store price. I ordered 3 jugs
smile.gif

Thanks for the info!! but to make 100% sure.. it *IS* the SN Plus version? I'll be over at walmart tomorrow I'll look..
smile.gif

Yes it is out I should have photographed the bottles

awesome! Makes my "hunt" a lot easier! I appreciate the info, thanks.
thumbsup2.gif

UPDATE: I did go to a couple local walmarts and they did not have the SN Plus version of 5w30 magnatec. Guess my area isn't that lucky to have it yet!
frown.gif

So I guess amazon might be my next step to get the SN Plus version?

Last edited:
UPDATE: Could someone take a picture of the new labels for this "Recipe" of Magnatec? I just want to make sure I'm getting the same one as this product data sheet shows (in this thread).. thanks!

To update my own post.. I went searching around local walmarts and auto parts stores this past weekend. None of the regular auto parts stores had the newer version of Magnatec, but I did find it at a walmart (finally)!

The new front label on the 5 quart and the 1 quart say "Superior GDI Turbo Formula" and on the back it refers to SN Plus, but it is NOT in the API circle, it's written below it.

Here's a picture I found of the 1 quart bottle for those looking for the new formula. Hope this helps for the people looking for it, like I was.

One of the SPEC that impressed me the most is 5w 20 VI @ 134 must be one of the lowest . Maybe have something to do why we're seeing such great UOA with MAGNATEC .Using in 2 Ecoboost Ford that Spec 945 after a run of 8200 KM no oil loss or smell of fuel . Will keep using 5W 20 .

Was also thinking about trying Magnatec 5W30, but it's not carried at the Walmarts near me anymore.
Ended up going with good ol M1 5W30 for the rebate.

Originally Posted By: LEADED
One of the SPEC that impressed me the most is 5w 20 VI @ 134 must be one of the lowest . Maybe have something to do why we're seeing such great UOA with MAGNATEC. Using in 2 Ecoboost Ford that Spec 945 after a run of 8200 KM no oil loss or smell of fuel . Will keep using 5W 20.

From this article: http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm

Sounds like a higher VI is better than a lower VI.

What is Viscosity Index (VI)?

It is the rate of change of viscosity between two temperatures. The lower the VI, the more the drop in viscosity
as the oil warms up. The higher the VI value, the less the drop in viscosity as the oil warms up.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
One of the SPEC that impressed me the most is 5w 20 VI @ 134 must be one of the lowest . Maybe have something to do why we're seeing such great UOA with MAGNATEC. Using in 2 Ecoboost Ford that Spec 945 after a run of 8200 KM no oil loss or smell of fuel . Will keep using 5W 20.

From this article: http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm

It is the rate of change of viscosity between two temperatures. The lower the VI, the more the drop in viscosity
as the oil warms up. The higher the VI value, the less the drop in viscosity as the oil warms up.

Your assumption is incorrect in a formulated lube that depends on improvers tomdeveelop VI

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Your assumption is incorrect in a formulated lube that depends on improvers tomdeveelop VI

It's not my assumption ... it's explained the same way in many places explaining the Viscosity Index. A lower VI value means the oil thins out more with the same temperature change than an oil with a higher VI.

You have a source that says it doesn't mean what that article says? The VI is a measure of how much the viscosity changes with temperature ... regardless of the formulation.

I am not going to argue the semantics of the definition, I have other intrest tonight.I will argue that a Higher viscosity index does not make an oil superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back