Castrol Magnatec or Synblend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Castrol replacing Synblend with Magnatec?I see that in different weight it's either a blend or a full synthetic.Is this the same Magnatec that is sold in Europe?Thanks Joe

That's interesting. They make a 0w-20 in this, so it should be full syn right?

I read they have a FULL SYN and its DEXO2 approved.

read

"Up to 75% of engine wear happens during warm-up - and that can take as long as 20 minutes"

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3: benefits and specification

Choose Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3 and its intelligent molecules will protect your car’s engine during the critical warm up stage when up to 75% of engine wear occurs.

Uses fully synthetic technology.
Provides protection during the critical warm-up period and beyond.
Bonds to metal surfaces making engine parts more resistant to wear.
Provides superior performance under extreme cold start up conditions.

Is Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3 suitable for my car?

Approvals & Specifications:

ACEA C3
API SN/CF
BMW Longlife 04
Dexos 2*
MB-Approval 229.31
VW 502 00/ 505 00

*Specifically developed for engines requiring the GM dexos2 engine oil specification

Is Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3 right for your car? Find out with our oil selector. We can also show you where to buy Castrol Magnatec.

Here is video

THE PROBLEM

THE SOLUTION VIDEO

the video shows

THE PROOF

VIDEO

The benefits video

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Does this oil do what it says it does? Sounds like marketing to me.
Rumor has it that you will never have to add air to your tires one this oil is used. The tire life will double as well!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Rumor has it that you will never have to add air to your tires one this oil is used. The tire life will double as well!

Did you see the video?

The guy rub a abbrisive steal aginst his screen of his smart phone and it left no scratches?

and it was not even a oil film... Hmmm

I was going to say if that were true the Smartphone companies would add that moleclue to a cleaner or something.

However I figured.. The people who make android phones / I phones w/e you want to call em.
Want them to break so you can buy a new one.
:))))))))

However I have not seen this oil in the USA as of yet.

would be nice to see a UOA of it.

Forget the marketing, the certifications and oem approvals make this a stout oil. Is this currently on sale here (USA)? GTX Synblend is on clearance at AZone so I wonder...

Last edited:
Castrol are really getting their act together on marketing, pricing and distribution.

Good news for the consumer. Something must have changed with Global or US management of the lubrication division.

May have been prompted by the decline in oil prices.

The 5w20 looks interesting - it's thicker than most, perhaps a good choice for older cars with consumption that spec 5w20.

Figures, every time I start using something for multiple OCI's....
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Figures, every time I start using something for multiple OCI's....
confused2.gif

You and me both. I bought some of those GTX synblends that are on clearance. I also bought EDGE EP for $3/qt. Both in 5w20.

I'm starting to like this oil by reading the description. I remember seeing this oil in the US during the SL spec days as a semi-syn and its interesting they are making a comeback as a full syn and possibly replacing the Syntec black bottle. Also it seems like they are chopping off the Syntec black bottle and Semi-Syn grey bottle products too.

I haven't used Castrol since 2007 (BITOG made me discover other oils) so some of their product lineup makes me want to go try Castrol again.

Huh, GTX Magnatec? In Australia GTX is GTX and Magnatec is Magnatec. Magnatec has been around for about 20 years and there are about 20 different flavours.

The Magnatec brand was first launched in 1996 as.... Castrol GTX Magnatec. This was in the UK, from where it spread globally. A few years later the "GTX" element was dropped and it became Castrol Magnatec.

The US are currently at the beginning of the Magnatec journey.

It really does. The wear rates in the Seq IVA are dramatically lower than other oils.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3482440/Castrol_engineers_talk_on_star

As I said, I had a dinner one evening with one of the developing chemists of it...I'm a firm believer in it...don't use it all the time, but have quite a bit after that evening.

I'm interested in this now-legendary dinner you had, and who it was with. The 90s was a long time ago and things change...

Originally Posted By: supercity
Huh, GTX Magnatec? In Australia GTX is GTX and Magnatec is Magnatec. Magnatec has been around for about 20 years and there are about 20 different flavours.

Yes, GTX Magnatec as per the U.S. Castrol website. It also appears to be replacing EDGE (black bottle).

Last edited:
I don't think that GTX Magnatec will replace Edge black bottle in the US. It seems some grades, like 5w30 are a blend. I saw it at AAP a couple days ago. The price point is equivalent to GTX Synblend, and Synblend is nowhere on the shelf.
I suspect it will replace Synblend in the GTX lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back