Castrol Magnatec Interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the suspected interval length for this oil? I'm using 5W30 and can't seem to find any official source, except for Malaysia. Not the U.S. Market, sources indicate 5k-10 miles.
smirk2.gif

What is the application? Year/make/model, driving habits and conditions? The board needs some info to develop an opinion. And many will have an opinion... be prepared.

2014 Nissan Xterra with the VQ40 DE 4.0 engine. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, driving habits are driving around town, stop and go traffic, occasional offroading.

I picked it up for $ 19/5 Quarts.. My engine seems to love this stuff. So smooth. I looked in the Castrol datasheet, no mention of intervals. Just the whole " reduces wear on startup using intelligent molecules" spiel.

Last edited:
Service interval is determined by the vehicle, driving habits, and conditions. Not by the oil. That is my opinion, for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Service interval is determined by the vehicle, driving habits, and conditions. Not by the oil. That is my opinion, for what it's worth.

It's worth a lot. The guy that does 12,000 per year all highway will likely get a different UOA than the guy going 6,000 per year all city, even with the same vehicle and oil.

forget the interval, GTX Magnatec 5W30 Noack is 8.9
shocked2.gif

latest 5W30 and 10W30 magnatec jugs says Full Synthetic
Interval depends on conditions ...
Average car, I would go 6-7K max and check the oil color & forget uoa
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
forget the interval, GTX Magnatec 5W30 Noack is 8.9
shocked2.gif

latest 5W30 and 10W30 magnatec jugs says Full Synthetic
Interval depends on conditions ...
Average car, I would go 6-7K max and check the oil color & forget uoa
grin2.gif

The lower the Noack the better? Anything below 15 is considered good? That's what I was suspecting around 5-6k.

I'm running 7500 on the 4.6 in my sig, it literally never uses a drop, even after 7500. More highway, but there's some stop & go too. Magnatec 5W20 is definitely better than the MC (or whatever bulk) 5W20 the stealer uses in the Transit, for sure.

Originally Posted by EMT_760
2014 Nissan Xterra with the VQ40 DE 4.0 engine. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, driving habits are driving around town, stop and go traffic, occasional offroading.

Sounds like severe service to me, does your owners manual have a severe service schedule?

Originally Posted by EMT_760
2014 Nissan Xterra with the VQ40 DE 4.0 engine. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, driving habits are driving around town, stop and go traffic, occasional offroading. ...

How many miles a month? How much Idling extended warmup?

I've run the 5w20 in the in a Subaru that does not get severe service as the wife drives over 2000 miles a month.

I'm about to do a UOA on Magnetec with this batch run way over the manufacturers recommended interval Non-severe service should be able to EASILY do 8500-10K miles in the late Spring thru early Fall seasons. I used to change oil at 4500-6500 and see that is way too early on a port injected non- turbo engine.

Something I've actually finally taken away from this forum over a decade and a half.

But if your Xterra doesn't get a long highway jaunt a couple times a month you will likely be stuck at 5-6K change intervals

Last edited:
When I used this oil, I changed it at 6000 miles even though I did have more highway miles. I'm sure I could have went longer but 6000 usually hit at a convenient time. 5000 would be a good number with you offloading and being in stop and go traffic a lot.

I have or have had 3 Nissans with this engine with each over 150k miles. I used Mobil 1 full syn 10-30 and changed oil every 5 k miles. Never had an issue. Changed the valve cover gaskets on one last year at 190 k and came looked new. No sludge at all.

Had a 2015 Nissan Xterra with the same engine. Always changed at 5000 per owners manual. Mix of highway and city driving. Figured I could not go wrong using what owners manual recommended. Used various semi and full synthetic motor oils including Castrol Magnatec but mostly Kendall motor oil. Never had any issues. Now have a 2019 Nissan Frontier with same engine and plan on following the 5000 mile interval for oil changes.

I just got off the phone with Castrol customer service. The rep stated they dont have any " recommended intervals" but suggested going off what the " manufacturer recommends". That has a me worried a bit, the ironic thing is their Edge line or extended performance has been tested to a higher standard and has that data available. This may be my last venture with Magnatech.. Its quite a uneasy feeling if Castrol won't release their data to the public.

Yes " Intelligent molecules cling to reduce wear". But for how long? Very subjective and speculative...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back