Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 Dexos HTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill tell you it "felt" higher in the semi-syn than in the synthetic - which is odd.

I will not run the synthetic maggy again. BAck to the excellent 10w30 NON DEXOS QSUD - Stellar oil.
DEXOS Cert? foohey! No matter to ME on my Nissan non-turbo QR25DE four pot.

What does it (the number) matter to you if its 3.1 or 3.0, really. Its and Ilsac oil its going to be "wimpy" Also The ASTM test procedure is not directly related to the shearing mechanism in situ.

What are you looking to do? Improve mileage or expand the safe operation margin?

Hey, it meets the minimum requirements, so what's the problem?
"Castrol. The oil that's OK in so many different ways."

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

With Intelligent Molecules what is the need for a PDS?

Should ask for their IQ and SAT scores instead of HTHS...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

With Intelligent Molecules what is the need for a PDS?
At least it has one, I'm still waiting for the PDS on Harvest King oil from Rural King!

Based on Castrol's penchant for slightly thicker oils for grade and looking at the kv spread I'd suspect it's about 3.1. But you won't find it anywhere for sure unless the PQIA tests it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
... At least it has one, I'm still waiting for the PDS on Harvest King oil from Rural King!
See Citgo web site for that.

Originally Posted By: novadude
Does anyone have this information? Been searching and I can't find anything, other than the worthless "> 2.9" on the Castrol PDS.

It won't be much higher than 3.1, let's put it that way.

Every ILSAC 30 grade oil I have ever seen has an HTHS between 2.9 and 3.2, with the end values being very rare. So it's probably either 3.0 or 3.1, given Castrol is often a little on the thick side, most likely 3.1 cP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back