Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has used this? What has been your impressions? I am curious at the cost point, it may be good to trying in my Honda or Nissan.

Castrol makes a really good ATF fluid, but make absolutely sure that it meets/exceeds the specification as printed in your owners manual.

Putting the wrong fluid in your Honda/Nissan could cost you a lot of money!

If the Honda/Nissan fluid works fine in your transmission I would stick with dealer fluid instead.

thumbsup2.gif

It meets both specs. I currently have Amsoil ATF in both. They require Z1 and Matic D. I am just researching different fluids, cost and quality wise.

I'm using the Amsoil in my Santa Fe and it shifts like "butta". The OEM stuff used to make it shift hard in the cold and the shifts were much more noticeable.

I also like that the Amsoil stuff stays clean for so long.

I would stick with it if you can afford it!
thumbsup2.gif

Did a drain and fill on wife's Corolla at 26700 miles using the Castrol import multi-vehicle atf. Did another at 31000 miles or so since I was obsessing about the level being a smidgen too high. Car currently has 40250 miles and is shifting fine. I will probably do another drain and fill at 50k or earlier.

Originally Posted By: Diesel_Clatter
Did a drain and fill on wife's Corolla at 26700 miles using the Castrol import multi-vehicle atf. Did another at 31000 miles or so since I was obsessing about the level being a smidgen too high. Car currently has 40250 miles and is shifting fine. I will probably do another drain and fill at 50k or earlier.

Does it shift any different than with the T-IV?

I've been servicing a Corolla that has 60k+ on the original T-IV and the shifts are starting to get a better clunky and the transmission is a bit unresponsive to downshift on the highway.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Does it shift any different than with the T-IV?

I've been servicing a Corolla that has 60k+ on the original T-IV and the shifts are starting to get a better clunky and the transmission is a bit unresponsive to downshift on the highway.

The only time I notice harsh shifting is when I transition from coasting to applying the throttle at low speeds. I get a definite lurch under these conditions unless I am very careful with the gas pedal.

This has always been there with both the T-IV and the Castrol. It might be somewhat improved with the Castrol, it is definitely not worse.

There was also some harsh shifting accompanied by a CEL at about 23000 miles that resulted in the ECM being replaced under warrantly. This probably was not ATF related.

does the castrol meet the mazda mv spec? (which i think is renamed mercon v but im not sure)

i think the transmission is a ford 4f27e but it is called a mazda fn4a-el.

the vehicle is a 2007 mazda 5.

Quote:
does the castrol meet the mazda mv spec? (which i think is renamed mercon v but im not sure)

i think the transmission is a ford 4f27e but it is called a mazda fn4a-el.

the vehicle is a 2007 mazda 5.

I don't think mazda MV is the same as Mercon V, but I did 3 drain and fills on my 06 mazda 3 with Castrol Multi Vehicle when my car had about 20k miles (at that time I thought MV was short for Mercon V), then at 40k miles I did one more drain and fill. Right now I have 50k miles and the transmission shofts really smooth, I will probably be changing again at arund 60k miles along with the fillter (I still have the factory one).

Based on that I think Mercon V is OK.

Last edited:
just checked the wesite for castrol and the mazda spec was listed.

i am going to do a drain and fill.

how critical is filter replacement on this transmission??

I have used it in my mom's '03 Altima (4 cyl) Prior to that it had a fill of Valvoline DEXIII and Mobil 1 It has been 2 years and about 30,000 km and it feels good smooth shifting (just a hint of crispness) and no banging from D to R (but that may have to do more with healthy tranny mounts) Overall no problems but then the tranny seems to be in good shape anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back