Castrol High Mileage Working As Advertised.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I decided to use some Castrol High Mileage brand oil in my 88 Lincoln Town Car- this is my 5.0 L ! - winter beater. This car consumes a lot of oil, it also leaks a bit of oil (but not as much as it consumes), and historically the oil turns black very quickly after being changed. After putting in some Castrol High Mileage oil the leakage has either stopped or has been reduced to a very small amount. Oil consumption has decreased very noticeably, and the oil is staying much cleaner as well. I'm pretty impressed so far, it is actually working as advertised from what I can tell. My motor has over 100,000 miles on it. The car seems to run smoother too, but that is a subjective thing. The oil vis is 10w-30. Funny thing the label reads that the oil is comprised of foreign and domestic components - wonder what they mean by that ?. Just some info to share.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:
i dunno, when the oil turns black, to me that tells me it's doing its job.

Or a injector is hung and leaking when shut down

Possible motor not coming to full temp?

I would try to save that motor,it's young yet
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JSIR:
Well I decided to use some Castrol High Mileage brand oil in my 88 Lincoln Town Car- this is my 5.0 L ! - winter beater. This car consumes a lot of oil, it also leaks a bit of oil (but not as much as it consumes), and historically the oil turns black very quickly after being changed. After putting in some Castrol High Mileage oil the leakage has either stopped or has been reduced to a very small amount. Oil consumption has decreased very noticeably, and the oil is staying much cleaner as well. I'm pretty impressed so far, it is actually working as advertised from what I can tell. My motor has over 100,000 miles on it. The car seems to run smoother too, but that is a subjective thing. The oil vis is 10w-30. Funny thing the label reads that the oil is comprised of foreign and domestic components - wonder what they mean by that ?. Just some info to share.

JSIR, when I got my 5.0 Mustang, it had 100,000 miles on it with small oil leaks from the vlave covers. I assumed that the car was burning oil as well. When I changed the valve cover gaskets, the oil leakage stopped ,and so did the supposed oil consumption. I ran 10W30 and it did not comsume barely any oil during the 3000 mile intervals. -Joe

I think the car was leaking from the valve covers, but a bit from the front main seal. This car still runs great, but it's 14 years old and things do wear out when they get that age. I drive it all year long but I use it as my sole car in the winter months, keeping my main car in storage.

The Castrol High Mileage appears to be a bit thicker than their standard 10w-30, probably to reduce leakage. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back