Castrol GTX w/"Liquid Tungsten"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember in the 60's (no wisecracks from our younger members, OK?) when Castrol GTX claimed it had "liquid tungsten." It cost $1.25/qt when other good motor oils were probably $.45 to $.55 (tops) per quart. When I was ready to change it out, the service station guy who changed it for me (I didn't change my own oil then) said he ought to drain it from my car and put it in his!!!! Anyone know what was REALLY in that stuff?

offtopic.gif
I would love to have been alive back in the 60's when they had real cars.
grin.gif
I might have been able to buy a 69 Z28 (my dreamcar) brand spanking new.

Liquid tungsten, eh? I thought tungsten ("I'll have Wolfram for 1000, Alex") had a pretty high melting point?
wink.gif

Don't worry, I won't be wise-cracking, but how often did you guys do oil changes back in the Dark Ages?
tongue.gif

I guess every decade has its miracle substances.

You guys are a real riot
lol.gif
but I forgive you because you are so young (heh heh). I don't remember for sure (as you implied I'm a geezer from the "Dark Ages") but I probably changed my oil every 3000 miles or less (less if a new oil came out that I was anxious to try).

The liquid tungsten was a "tungsten sulfide" similar to moly sulfide, an EP additive.

It never did get off the ground nor was it accepted on a general scale.

Research chemists are now working on a number of barrier additives using various organometallic combinations, including tungsten dithiocarbamate.

'Kule,

...sort of "deja vu all over again?"

BREAK BREAK

Based on your input a thought just occurred to me: On what have us sporty/imported car types REALLY based our affinity on for Castrol motor oils? Was it the reputation actually built by their Castor bean-based racing oils, which probably few of us have used in our street cars because of the incompatibility with petroleum oils, or have their petroleum products actually been that noteworthy, thereby earning our confidence?

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
You guys are a real riot
lol.gif
but I forgive you because you are so young (heh heh).

I hope you weren't referring to me with that statement.......I was actually serious. I love older cars. Always have, always will.

Most of the people I know who love castrol, are the younger import crowd, who believe castrol "is engineered for today's smaller engines"........LOL

"Based on your input a thought just occurred to me: On what have us sporty/imported car types REALLY based our affinity on for Castrol motor oils? Was it the reputation actually built by their Castor bean-based racing oils, which probably few of us have used in our street cars because of the incompatibility with petroleum oils, or have their petroleum products actually been that noteworthy, thereby earning our confidence?"

I believe Castrols "claim-to-fame" came with the advertising hype linked with the castor bean
oil, which in turn was associated with the German's use of synthesized esters derived from Castor beans. Castrol never used synthesized products until the seventies, then used mainly Group III's, and then came back to synthesized bases recently in some of the R & S products.

'Kule,

Thanks for all your insights.

...sounds like we may all have presumed a level of performance with the petroleum oils that wasn't necessarily there!!!! (Having lived in Europe, however, I know, at least in Germany, and I presume in the UK, Castrol is very popular)...and I am very much interested in the SLX formula that is now appearing in NA.

Tex...

Interesting you should add a post, because that Castrol went into a 1967 Mustang Fastback 289 which spent it's life prowling the streets of Big D.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Texcowboy:
Back then I changed every 3,000 miles, and because I am an old fart now I was able to buy a 1969 Mach One NEW!
bowdown.gif

Do you still have it? I sure hope so!

burnout.gif

quote:

bean-based racing oils,

Now that someone said "bean based oils" ...I just wonder why no one here (of all places) has ever mentioned johoba bean oil. On one Amsoil sheet (one that compares various oil for flash point/pour point etc.) ..where Amsoil (at the time) came out #1 for the synthetics (this was some time ago, obviously) ...the Johoba bean oil actually exceeded just about everything on the sheet.

It is, granted, hopelessly too expensive for any real use as a motor oil ..but I just wondered why I haven't heard it yet on this site.

I don't know what was in the liquid tungston stuff but I do remember running the R40 Castrol made from real castor beans. I think I still have a quart somewhere. It really smelled like racing when you where at the track and smelled the burning oil. You could tell which cars where running the castrol R stuff. We used it in lever shocks as it was highly recommended for racing.
I also remember the first Mobil 1 oil back in the 60's. I put it in my MGA and it kind of worried me. It would burn up quickly it was so thin. One day when I took the dip stick out it had a big glob of goo on the end of the dipstick. Must have been cleaning all the stuff left from the quaker state oil for 60,000 miles. If was advertized as 24,000 mile oil but I believe I drained it at 10,000 because of the glob of goo.
gr_eek2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back