Castrol GTX vs Conoco Phillips Synth Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

I was at Wally World tonight and I just don't get it.

Castrol GTX dino for $2.42/qt, Conoco Phillips Synthetic blend for $1.48/qt.

Does anyone here run the Castrol, at a 64% cost premium? If so, how do you justify it? I am assuming WM price on Castrol is about as good as it gets. If you can get Castrol somewhere for near $1.50, then this post is useless.

This is not meant to be a dig on Castrol or those who use it. It just seems like a huge difference in price for what I would guess are similarly performing oils.

Anyone want to take a stab? BTW, I have 54 quarts of the CP syn blend in my stash.
smile.gif

I bought 3 cases of GTX for .69 cents a quart and my last 2 cases for .89 cents a quart.
grin.gif

(but of course, there is no reason to have a stash!
tongue.gif
)

But to answer your question, IF I was at the store and had to buy oil, I'd buy the trop-artic at those prices.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

The GTX flies off the shelf at my local WM, while the CP Trop Arctic bottles get dusty.

Folks are voting for the GTX and against the CP TA, even with the premium. Is it just marketing?

quote:

Originally posted by 95_carvan:
I'd take T/A($1.49), Kendall($1.59) anyday of the week over Crapstrol GTX.

We really need the facts on this.

[ March 21, 2006, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Don't cut the GTX short, it's a very good product. The main reason for the cost difference is marketing expense. When's the last time you saw a Conoco, Phillips, or Kendall ad on TV or when was the last time you saw them supporting a major racing event, or sponsoring major race cars. Castrol spends a small fortune on marketing and they have to make up the cost somewhere. To the major majority of the consumers across the country this makes a difference because Castrol GTX out sells Conono/Phillips/Kendall 100:1

So what youre saying is I need to explain why I would take one over the other.

Ok then, Similar add packs both nothing too brag about but C/P has some group III and is usually about a buck cheaper.

Honest, that is a great response. And Thanks, not trying to pick on you. I am trying to get more indepth responses and that is the type I love to see.

cheers.gif

quote:

Ok then, Similar add packs both nothing too brag about but C/P has some group III and is usually about a buck cheaper.

How do you know GTX doesn't have some Group III in it?

quote:

Couldnt they advertise it as a blend then.

They could, but to do so would cut into sales of the Syntec Blend. Same reason they don't advertise GTX Startup as a blend when it clearly is.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if GTX 5w20 has a significant hit of Group III in it. GTX 5w30 probably has some, too. The rest of the GTX lineup is probably all Group II. All courtesy of PetroCanada.
grin.gif

If the basestocks of Castrol GTX are produced by PetroCanada, then the GTX oils must be a cut above other oils from the same class, at least in terms of basestocks.

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
Petro Canada makes a GPII/GPIII oil has NO light ends in it as good as a PAO other than volitlity and PP just as good.
bruce

quote:

Does anyone here run the Castrol, at a 64% cost premium? If so, how do you justify it? I am assuming WM price on Castrol is about as good as it gets. If you can get Castrol somewhere for near $1.50, then this post is useless.

Your engine does the justifying.
I would pay more for an oil that reduces consumption noticeably. If all things are equal ... ie... engine sound, oil life, engine cleanliness & consumption issues -- then yes.... buy the cheaper oil.

Update:

I was at my WW today and the CP TA Synblend is still $1.48/quart. I think everything else is up in the past 2 months. In fact, a gallon of Rotella T 5W-40 was $15.25! Up almost 20% in the past year.

No, I am not comparing the oils, just the price change differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back