Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5w30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the VOA of Castrol's new GTX Ultraclean 5w30 oil. I believe they have added group III to this as the technical data sheet now says "synthetic blend".

It looks very close to the older GTX formulation if not a little thicker viscosity. I know that PQIA hasn't tested this oil yet, but based on my tests of the older GTX oil, the results were close to PQIA's results. I'd like to see what PQIA finds in comparison to my test.

I'm thinking of using this in my 06 Scion tC (2az-fe engine). I could go full synthetic on the tC but just looking at everything that's out there. I think this would work well for the tC.

Thank you OP !
I've been very interested in this oil for awhile now. It looks like the standard quality GTX add pack but now in semi-synthetic package. This makes sense now that most of the Castrol Magnatec range have been upgraded from semi-synthetic to full synthetic.

Moly is healthy at 84 ppm, Boron is a massive 198 ppm, the detergent is Ca at 2451 ppm producing a TBN of 8.26 with Zinc close to the upper ILSAC limits at 808 ppm. The viscosity is a touch on the thick side, which I like, KV100 = 11.2 cSt.

This looks like a very good oil to me.

I agree SR5. I have this in my Altima now. Thank you very much for doing this researcher. I am adding this oil my possibilities to run.

I might switch to it for my LR3...most of it's life it's had VWB or the "old" GTX. 160k miles, 5-7k OCIs and doesn't need top offs.

You can see the older mineral GTX and the newer GTX UltraClean semi-synthetic look to have the same add packs, which I think is a good thing.

Just to put them all in one place, here is the older GTX tested by the OP, and it also includes the PQIA data.

Originally Posted By: SR5
The GTX 5W20 ... regular ILSAC levels of zinc (739 ppm with PQIA returning 817 ppm), lots of Boron (162 ppm, PQIA at 195) a nice touch of Moly (74 and 86 ppm respectively) based on a Calcium detergent package (2188 ppm here and 2646 at PQIA) returning a healthy TBN of 8.1 (PQIA 8.68).

Ref:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4483036/1

If this is what GTX now offer, I'm happy to use it in my car.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree SR5. I have this in my Altima now. Thank you very much for doing this researcher. I am adding this oil my possibilities to run.

Hey you're most welcome, glad that I could post this. Had a feeling I wasn't the only one wondering what was in it!

You can see the older mineral GTX and the newer GTX UltraClean semi-synthetic look to have the same add packs, which I think is a good thing.

Just to put them all in one place, here is the older GTX tested by the OP, and it also includes the PQIA data.

The GTX 5W20 ... regular ILSAC levels of zinc (739 ppm with PQIA returning 817 ppm), lots of Boron (162 ppm, PQIA at 195) a nice touch of Moly (74 and 86 ppm respectively) based on a Calcium detergent package (2188 ppm here and 2646 at PQIA) returning a healthy TBN of 8.1 (PQIA 8.68).

Ref:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4483036/1

If this is what GTX now offer, I'm happy to use it in my car.

Thanks SR5 for linking over to my other thread! great idea! Keeps it all related. And you're welcome for posting this. I agree with you that everything about this formulation feels good, a little on the thicker side, good add pack, not much to complain about.

I will be posting some UOA's eventually of the newer oil, just have to get some miles on it, to do that!
19.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back