Castrol GTX/Syntec 5W30 6.8K 'OO Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest report on our '00 Honda Accord 3.0L V6. This is a 19 month, 6,800 mile run on a mix of 4 qts SM Castol GTX and one qt Castrol Syntec, both 5W30. You will see three of the four previous UOAs on the oil mixture. I had planned to run this out to two full years and up to 7500 miles, but I needed to do some other service work, so I did this too. I think I could have easily reached that mark.

HonUOA70K.jpg

Just so I have this correct, this run is a mixture of 4 quarts of dino oil and one quart of full synthetic oil, is that right?

Looks good. What's the trace of fuel from?

Interesting u added 1 qt synthetic. did that accomplish anything? and would u consider 1+ qt synthetic 10w30 to help keep it from shearing out of grade? Do u use a block heater?

Captain_Klink, are you in the US Arm Forces and are station in Afghanistan now ?

If either is true, then thank you for your service.

Back to the topic, less than 7k miles in 19 months (less than 100 miles a week), means mostly short trips and it is very hard on oil. This UOA shows Honda engine is very easy on oil and Castrol is a good oil too.

Why can't you decide on an oil?

Are you attempting to do something the formulators never thought of or are you just avoiding the "scam" that is pre-packaged synth blend oil?

I guess the thinking is that when you add GTX to Syntec you make it worse, so adding Syntec to GTX ~must~ make it better?

Consider the possibility that all you did was waste money.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Why can't you decide on an oil?

Are you attempting to do something the formulators never thought of or are you just avoiding the "scam" that is pre-packaged synth blend oil?

I guess the thinking is that when you add GTX to Syntec you make it worse, so adding Syntec to GTX ~must~ make it better?

Consider the possibility that all you did was waste money.

I have decided on an oil, you impertinent Audi Junkie. You just read three analysis on it. :) < )

This is more a long term experiment than anything. I had been using Syntec Blend almost from the time we bought the car. Then came BITOG. Learning blended oil in itself was not a bad thing, just the paltry amounts usually blended that make it a "scam" as you put it, I was looking for a switch.

Along the way, I read about people doing mixes like this with Castrol and other oils. After determining that the chemisty/additives of GTX and Syntec are pretty similar (as much as I could with Castrol's hush-hush policy on details), and that GTX's Gp II base and Syntec's Gp III base are also compatible, I decided on a 4+1 mix.

I agree with most of the group here, and apparently you, that Castrol is somewhat overpriced for what it is.... BUT it's saving grace is that stores often put it on sale. Moneywise, my blend is cheaper than the prepackaged blend. For some reason, the Syntec blend is hardly ever put on sale, but both Syntec and GTX (especially GTX) are on sale often. This batch cost me $2.10/gt for the GTX and $3.20 qt for the Syntec, bought last year. That's $11.60 for the five quarts.

The results of the experiment speak for themselves. I have enough oil for one more change and than I'll likely move on to another oil. I'm bored with this one.

HTSS_TR: I work at home and live in a rural area. The minimum drive for this car is 20 miles on rural roads at 55-60 mph.50 miles is more usual. It gets almost no short hops. The car is usually only driven 2-3 times per week and is garaged.

Last edited:
Missed your question, Captain Klink (I know NOTH-ING about your promotion to Colonel!): I think my reply to the impertinent Audi Junkie answered the question about effectiveness. Your question about 10W30 is interesting. I never gave it any though, frankly. It's an idea, however, I'm not really worried about the loss of viscosity This oil starts out as a middle grade 30 (about 11cSt). A drop to 9.2 doesn't worry me, especially since this engine went to a 5W20 recommendation within a year or so after mine was built (been thinking about going to 5W20 anyway).

You're mixing different additive packs to increase the percieved "synth" oil content by a few percent and paying money for the priviledge.

Syntec Blend is a great oil, I would use it. I would not use anything mixed, even for free.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
You're mixing different additive packs to increase the percieved "synth" oil content by a few percent and paying money for the priviledge.

Syntec Blend is a great oil, I would use it. I would not use anything mixed, even for free.

Mixed oil works perfectly fine.

I don't know why people have the belief that it doesn't.

Get an engine timer. With your results, one wonders how peaceful your driving style is? ever see traffic? or anything besides the highway?

BTW, 2 years should be easy with your mineral/syn homemade blend. What do you call your oil? Gtec or SyntX?

I would stick with GTX and use a quart of EDGE in place of the Syntec. The higher TBN of Edge should give you a better safety margin here as you approach the 24th month.

Run GTX or Syntec all by themselves to see which is the better oil??

Bummer, we'll have to wait 2 years for the next UOA on this engine.

What oil filter?

Nice results, thanks for posting. Blend held viscosity nicely.

I agree that there is no harm in mixing oils; and I don't 'think' you would have seen quite as good results if this had been straight GTX.

What are you planning on 'experimenting with' next?

Nice motor and you apparently take good care of it. Your driving route is easy on the motor. Good luck,I've got an 02 V6 Accord. Have you changed the oem plugs yet? You don't want them to seize.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Get an engine timer. With your results, one wonders how peaceful your driving style is? ever see traffic? or anything besides the highway?

BTW, 2 years should be easy with your mineral/syn homemade blend. What do you call your oil? Gtec or SyntX?

I would stick with GTX and use a quart of EDGE in place of the Syntec. The higher TBN of Edge should give you a better safety margin here as you approach the 24th month.

Run GTX or Syntec all by themselves to see which is the better oil??

Bummer, we'll have to wait 2 years for the next UOA on this engine.

What oil filter?

I drive like I wanna save gas, but I'm no afraid to punch it (especially with the wife outta the car! ostensibly, it's her car). It spent the first couple of years in a small city and did some stop-n-go. City driving is probably about 10 percent.

Wix/Napa 1334 filter and you can see it cut open at:

Dissected Wix 1334

Probably should go with an Amsoil EaO for the better filtration.

FZ1: Changed the plugs at 60K just for something to do. I hardly ever get to work on the thing! They weren't even close to being siezed

Good for you. Two of my plugs were tight at 7 yrs. and 90k. The M1 filter appears to be the best oil filter you could run.

One quart of GTX, one quart of Syntec Blend, one quart of Castrol Hi-Miles, one quart of Syntec and one quart of Edge, that would be THE BEST oil!

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back