Castrol GTX Start Up product rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys honestly think this oil will outperform the Mobil syn blend in cost vs performance ?

Mobil 2.08
Castrol 2.75

I like the Mobil but Euro blends have 30% PAO , the Imported from Europe Saab Turbo Blend seems to be a stand out in this respect as does the the 25 buck per case Agypt Synt 4 blend .

Whats not PAO with this one , the rest is true group II .

Shipping cost can be a problem though if you do not live close to their marketing area .

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
lol.gif

Jay your right, not many oil companies spend as much time or money on marketing as Penzoil. Mobil has lots of comercials but never advertise their group IV true synthetic makeup. Perhaps they are worried about a lawsuit from Castrol.

You would think that Mobil would be bragging that they are still Gr.4 in their commercials

I think the Mobil blends are a good deal.
Castrol has a great oil with their GC, but the new start up seems like a new marketing gimmick to me. However, if you read Amsoil's product decription to their new pre-oiler, it does make a good case for start up wear being the #1 cause of most wear. So maybe this new oil is going to be decent. We shall see....

No, but soon they're gonna have short-trip oil, intermediate-trip oil and long-trip oil. Oil that's optimized for operation from dusk to dawn. And another from dawn to dusk...

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
When I first heard about this oil I had the same reaction, who is supposed to use this oil?

This oil is really nothng more than a "Made in USA" version of Magnatec, which is a pretty decent synthetic blend sold in Europe. This "Start Up" moniker is just a lame (IMO) way to market this oil, although the actual ad copy is very close to the way Magnatec has been marketed in Europe.

I look at it like this: Virtually all "synthetic blend" oils are a mix of Group II and Group III. Mobil's blend is a mix of Group I, II, and IV. But with this oil you've got a blend that is a mix of Group II and Group V (esters). Where else are you going to get that in the US?

OMG, motor oil consumer marketing has gone the same way as most consumer branded products. Countless variations on the same brand to try and grab shelf space and flumox consumers.

It was not very many years ago that Colgate was a toothpast. Crest was a toothpaste, etc.

Now I count OVER 25 different Colgate toothpastes for sale in the US based on their website:

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/...mender/Toothpastes/AllColgateToothpastes.cvsp

Are there are 25 different kinds of teeth which need brushing ???? NO!

Marketing madness.

John

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

qb]

Mobil's blend is a mix of Group I, II, and IV. But with this oil you've got a blend that is a mix of Group II and Group V (esters). Where else are you going to get that in the US? [/QUOTE]Please quantify with raw data the base oils used in both the Mobil HM Blend and the topic Castrol and or withdraw your statements and shelve them as Swinging Wild Arse Guess if you can't quantify.

My opinion is you are reaching far there....prove me wrong , I'm a gluten for punishment
tongue.gif
Need data though , no guessing allowed in the game of who uses what basestocks
thumbsdown.gif

If ya can't , please no more rumors . Most of us at BITOG want facts , please provide facts only when speaking of current basestocks used in various oils . The site will be a better on because of your efforts to ensure the best possible information .

SWAGS ..... afunny term but most pertanent in this case since NO-ONE see X/M's MSDS's ..... not even the you .

TIA

[ July 23, 2004, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

qb]

Mobil's blend is a mix of Group I, II, and IV. But with this oil you've got a blend that is a mix of Group II and Group V (esters). Where else are you going to get that in the US?

Please quantify with raw data the base oils used in both the Mobil HM Blend and the topic Castrol and or withdraw your statements and shelve them as Swinging Wild Arse Guess if you can't quantify.

My opinion is you are reaching far there....prove me wrong , I'm a gluten for punishment
tongue.gif
Need data though , no guessing allowed in the game of who uses what basestocks
thumbsdown.gif

If ya can't , please no more rumors . Most of us at BITOG want facts , please provide facts only when speaking of current basestocks used in various oils . The site will be a better on because of your efforts to ensure the best possible information .

SWAGS ..... afunny term but most pertanent in this case since NO-ONE see X/M's MSDS's ..... not even the you .

TIA
[/QUOTE]

YAWN...

So..... you cannot quantify your statement can you ?

I honestly did not think so . There more posts by you that are similar IMO when it comes to heresay or SWAG's . Especially heresay .

Maybe it's time you set back , learn more and post less ?

Or will this produce another
sleeping.gif
which bebefits the forum .... NOT
tongue.gif

Give us some positive , absolute information on basestocks currently used from now on...would you ? Or if you can't , please don"t post unless you explicitly say it's a SWAG .

My opinion is we don't need SWAG's here uless noted as such . TRoo many wrong rumore floating around this forum as it is now w/o adding to them
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

So..... you cannot quantify your statement can you ?

I honestly did not think so . There more posts by you that are similar IMO when it comes to heresay or SWAG's . Especially heresay .

Maybe it's time you set back , learn more and post less ?

Or will this produce another
sleeping.gif
which bebefits the forum .... NOT
tongue.gif

Give us some positive , absolute information on basestocks currently used from now on...would you ?

Or is that possible ?
sleeping.gif

lol.gif

That's what I thought .

I'll cruise right by your SWAG's from now on ....actually no different than before but at least the forum knows you cannot quantify the statements on basestocks you have made tonight .
The past , who can forgt those ?
fruit.gif

Unless you think
lol.gif
cuts the mustard .

Good night , dream up some new SWAGs for tommorrow would you ?

Been down latlly and need a laugh
cheers.gif

From a webpage on Startup:

Contains polarized molecules that cling to your engine's metal surfaces to provide advanced anti wear protection.

Why should that make the oil cling to the metal? Water is polarized and I don't see it cling to metal.

quote:

I'll cruise right by your SWAG's from now on

Keep right on cruising, pal ...

I've looked over several of the posts you made last night, and in a lot of them all you were doing is being pompous and confrontational. I suppose you think that adds something to the board?

Anyone who has followed the exchanges you and I have had on this board knows full well what you are up to. I've asked you numerous times to document some of your off the wall assertions, and you never did. And no doubt your backside is still a litte chapped over our most recent PM exchange.

Relax guys, it's just oil. You both contribute a lot of good info on this site. Simma down now.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Relax guys, it's just oil.

buster,

Agree wholeheartedly that we should keep things mellow, but your comment above...oh, my heart my heart...I'm taking comfort in the fact that I KNOW you did not have SLX/GC (AKA The ELixer of Peace and Harmony) in mind when you said that...you know like your instincts for peaceful dialogue overruled your consideration of all the ramifications of your statement! Peace...love...German Motor Oil
wink.gif

Here is how I see Castrol's product line-up:

Normal oil consumer:
GTX>Syntec Blend>Syntec
Mileage concious consumer:
GTX Start-Up (new cars)>GTX Hi-Mi (old cars)

The way I see it, GTX Start-Up is best for newer cars so the polarized whatever can make a difference in long-term start-up wear.

July Lubes'n'Greases (Product News section) says of the new Castrol GTX Start Up that "Its polarized ester molecules cling to an engine's metal surfaces to provide advanced antiwear protection, says Castrol." Actually, that does not sound bad at all. Wonder how much ester is in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back