Castrol GTX Start Up product rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.
The advertising and marketing firm that handles Castrol North America is about to begin the "official" product rollout for GTX Start Up. (A smart move to wait until the product was on the shelves before beginning the advertising campaign.)

You can read the press released (dated today) by clicking here.

yup yup, Saw the first ad on TV two nights ago
smile.gif

Castrol is so good at marketing! They simply own Mobil, Chevron, and most of the other stodgy majors. They've got a new flashy bottle, a new flashy name, and a whole new marketing strategy built around an oil with a little ester in it--as if nobody else is doing this.

Mobil/Exxon doesn't even have the temerity to call their group III products "synthetic".

Well, someone is buying this stuff. I went by Wal-Mart tonight to get 5 quarts to change the oil in my van this weekend, and all they had was 3 quarts of 10w30, 2 quarts of 5w30, and 1 quart of 10w40. The shelves were full of the regular GTX and HM Castrol, but the section for the Start Up was virtually bare!

lol.gif

Jay your right, not many oil companies spend as much time or money on marketing as Penzoil. Mobil has lots of comercials but never advertise their group IV true synthetic makeup. Perhaps they are worried about a lawsuit from Castrol.

I just don't like the whole castrol marketing thing with all these oils:

GTX-drive hard?
high mileage-engines over 75k miles
syntec blend-added esters for frequent short trips
syntec--group 3 "fully synthetic"
start up-prevent start up wear

Went to a different Wal-Mart today and got 5 quarts of 10w30 @ $2.87 per quart. A bit more expensive than I had expected, but not too bad for a Group II/Group V blend.

Also, this stuff smells just like the domestic Syntec.

John Force has been driving the castrol gtx startup car for a few weeks now, and the crew has the new outfits also.

2.87 is a bit too much for any semi synthetic motor oil.

Nope, not me, not now.

Also how do they prove that it protects better at startup? Better than what? After startup i guess you are on your own?

I guess my question would be why GTX start-up. I use plain old Castrol GTX 5w30 and change it every 4K miles. Castrol will warrant my engine for 400K miles agains't any damage caused by lubrication as long as I continue this OCI with plain old GTX.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
I saw an ad that had the picture of the bottle and the label said 0W40?????? That would suggest an oil more akin to the GC 0W30????

It was probably 10w40. This oil only comes in three grades: 5w30, 10w30, 10w40

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
I just don't like the whole castrol marketing thing with all these oils:

GTX-drive hard?
high mileage-engines over 75k miles
syntec blend-added esters for frequent short trips
syntec--group 3 "fully synthetic"
start up-prevent start up wear

When I first heard about this oil I had the same reaction, who is supposed to use this oil?

According to their previous marketing, someone who is into high performance is supposed to use Syntec. Someone with a regular car with not too many miles on it is supposed to use GTX. Higher mileage cars get the GTX HM. Then someone who wants a bit higher performance but without as big a price tag, is supposed to use Syntec Blend. But then who exactly is supposed to use the GTX Start Up?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back