Castrol GTX proline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never heard of it, not sure it's even over here state side. Bye the way, the word is, all you folks in China are using up all the gasoline.
grin.gif

Tiong:

welcome.gif
to a member from Singapore

I've not heard of it either...sorry, but then I focus on the work of the Elves (if that sounds strange go to the site's Elvish village and you will catch on...)

Again...
welcome.gif

What I know from the bottle(green)Castol GTX proline that it is a mineral oil for performance engine, turbo tested, meets the API SM and some other standards.It is different from the normal Castrol GTX. Quite a number of turbo cars are using it and they changed the oil every 5000km. So far the feedbacks are good but I will like to know the HTHS and viscosity of the oil.

I had checked Castrol malaysia website and they state the Castrol GTX as 15w40 oil. But they do not have the MSDS for the oil. I wonder if it is a good oil for turbo engines running on high rpm.

Not knowing this specific oil, I can't say for sure, but my guess is it would be fine...for turbos, however, I recommend synthetic. A case can be made for using a high-quality turbo tested mineral oil and changing frequently.

you have to be a little careful with Castrol's labeling/markwting, as what they call one lube in one country can be an entirely different oil elsewhere.

Case in point, Syntrax in Europe is a 75w-90 semi-synthetic gear oil, yet in Australia it is a full synthetic PAO/ester GL5 transaxle lube, possibly eqivalent to something like TAF-X in Europe. There are several versions of GTX here, and one of them (GTX II) is one of their lower end oils, yet back in the seventies the original GTX was top of the heap.

Best bet is get in touch with Castrol Singapore and ask for a PDS (if they aren't online). I've done this in the past with Castrol Oz and they've been very obliging.

quote:

I wonder if it is a good oil for turbo engines running on high rpm.

Hmm, I'd be more inclined to use SLX, Formula RS, or one of Motul's range. (The Motul distributor for SE Asia and Oceania is based in Singapore
wink.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by Lui Wan Tiong:
SLX is good for turbo? it is a 0w30 oil.

Don't let the 0W30 designation fool you. It is FINE for a turbo. I run it in my twin turbo A6 and it some very hot weather...no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back