Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W20, 8199mi, 2017 Subaru Crosstrek, 60,864mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the second UOA on this car, the previous was with Valvoline Advanced 0W20 in similar driving conditions including lots of long highway miles over a 4-1/2 month interval. The Oil was changed at this time and Subaru Idemitsu 0W20 installed for the brutal Winter interval.
No short trips on this car - most trips on weekend are at least 30 mins and 15 -20 miles.

Enjoy!
p.s: sorry about the poor photo quality off the monitor, I don't have an advanced adobe package on this pc.

-Ken

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I'm thinking lots highway driving at operating temps doesn't hurt either. Not sure I'd push to 11-12k miles, maybe ~10k for another month, then sample. Your call there. Seems like you got ROI here. I'm running some Magnatec 0w20 in a 3.0L Accord now.

Nice engine. I usually give more credit to the engine rather than the oil. Both oils held up well though too.

ARCO, how has the Crosstrek been in the snow?

Originally Posted by buster
Nice engine. I usually give more credit to the engine rather than the oil. Both oils held up well though too.

ARCO, how has the Crosstrek been in the snow?

IDK, I don't drive it.

It's got new tires, sumitomo HTR A/S P02 I bought for rain puddling on the highway.

Im frettingabout changing sparkplugs, actually
It's got Ruthenium/Iridium alloy super advanced NGK in there. Why should they come out at 60K?
Stupid.
I'm going to leave 'em in till spring unless we get a warm couple days.

But the free lifetime engine warranty may be trashed if I do that.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Is this a GDI engine?
Was this the old synblend, or full synthetic Magnatec?

NO Its port injection,

I don't stash, so it's the syn. in an "un- recommended by Subaru 5W20 grade-

In my Nissan QR25DE Rogue Select, I liked the Magnatec blend WAY better in a 5W30 grade/

Both were good oils here .

I did like the Valvoline better, but the Idemitsu in there now is a ton thinner and the engine spools up quicker.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Looks good to me. I'm thinking lots highway driving at operating temps doesn't hurt either. Not sure I'd push to 11-12k miles, maybe ~10k for another month, then sample. Your call there. Seems like you got ROI here. I'm running some Magnatec 0w20 in a 3.0L Accord now.

If the wife doesn't sell the beast in the Spring of 2020, Ill step up to 10K intervals there without issue.

I did dump this and put in the "very thin for a 0W20" Subaru Idemitsu 0W20. '

Latest batch of that seems very good. Maybe reformulated.

Thanks for posting!

Metals are identical (nobody whine: BSLabs _CANNOT_ reproduce its own results to within 1 ppm, nor can lots of or most UOA labs), so that makes one want to save the cash spent on more expensive oil.

OTOH fuel content is way up.

How consistent is BSLabs on insolubles? That number ‘doubled,' but I wonder whether resolution on that test is also such that 0.1 and 0.2% are statistically the same for them(?).

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I did dump this and put in the "very thin for a 0W20" Subaru Idemitsu 0W20. '

Was this ever reformulated for SN+?

Near ideal driving conditions and the UOA reflects that. I personally like that you're not running down the TBN to where Blackstone suggest. If you are looking to extend the oil change interval, then maybe try M1 EP.

I have Magnatec 0w20 in the Camry
It will go for about 10k miles and has not moved off the full mark after about 4k miles

Last edited:
Report looks good. I wouldn't worry about the silicon. Part of that may be part of the Magnatec add pack.

Did Castrol start putting titanium in Magnatec when it went full synthetic. I seem to remember it didn't have it originally.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Report looks good. I wouldn't worry about the silicon. Part of that may be part of the Magnatec add pack.

Did Castrol start putting titanium in Magnatec when it went full synthetic. I seem to remember it didn't have it originally.

It appears so. I was surprised to see that and at the same PPM count as the Valvoline.
Hopefully its not a cut and paste error on their part!

I think I'm done with UOA for this car.

I have enough proof that a decent oil can go 8-10K mi easily through the warmer months.

The dealer gave us a lifetime engine warranty, and I have an extension to 100k from Subaru on the CVT.

Now I have to worry if they would deny me for not changing out the mega-dollar ruthenium factory sparkplugs that should be good to 100K.

I think this Castrol / Valvoline smackdown is almost too close to call--I'm surprised at how similar those oils look on paper. Both are good oils, but I'll give the nod to Valvoline for the higher (in spec) flashpoint despite the higher mileage. Thanks for posting! --Rob

ARCO,

Thanks very much for the Castrol Magnatec 5W20 and Valvoline Advance Syn 0W20 back to back UOAs. They both did very well, surprisingly similar, splitting hairs between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back